The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 45 gallon planted tank with boesemani rainbowfish and various plants. African water fern, anubias, java fern, and swords. My T5 bulbs have never really provided enough light for the sword, probably because the tank is 21" tall. I have decided to get an LED fixture to replace the T5 and I am in between the Satellite LED Plus Pro and the Finnex Ray2. Does anyone have any ideas how well the satellite fixture will do with the plants in the tank? I really like the ability to control the lighting with the Satellite fixture and the different colors with this rather than the all white with the Finnex. I have ordered both from amazon to see which one I like better, but I want to see if anyone here has any input on either of these lights. I will put up pictures of the lights if anyone is interested

·
Registered
483 Posts
What T5 fixture did you have? If it's a 2 bulb T5HO I don't think light is the problem with your sword plants.

Not that it matters I suppose since you've ordered the lights. I've never used the Satellite but have used the Ray2 on a 40B(a bit too much light for this really) and it will certainly grow plants.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Par, spectrum, it's dimmable, par, rgb's, par, oh yah.. it's dimmable!!
LOL, that about covers it.. A visual aid..
Anyting under about .2 is fairly low. The Current "at least" boosts the red.. which is sorely lacking in the 7000k LED's of the RayII

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Not so much.. well not out of the box anyways... bml and current factory.. finnex and BeamsWorks mod only..
Well, I never said out of the box. ;) But most are dimmable via PWM, easily obtainable with external PWM controllers. Current and Ecoxotic just add the IR remote controller options. :)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I like the way that looks, but I am also interested in how the satellite led plus does.

Following!
The Sat+ and the Sat+ PRO are very different animals.

Similar appearance, but drastically different performance.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Ah, I left off the word PRO. Sorry man, I didn't know there was a difference.
No worries, just clarifying. :)

Both are excellent lights, just the level of light output is drastically different.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Question: Is the PRO series better than a Finnex Planted plus? just curious. I have a Finnex on a 10 gallon Betta tank.
Assuming you're referring to a Finnex FugeRay:

Does it put out more light? Heck yeah, it does. Costs a heck of a lot more, too.

Does that make it better for your application? That's for you to determine. PAR is ~100 at 12", which is a LOT of light. Probably too much for such a small tank. 20" FugeRay is 61 PAR at 12".

Of course, it can be dimmed easily. So the question becomes whether the extra features, appearance, lighting modes, etc., justify the money to you, if you end up throttling the light output down to the same level you already have, to avoid algae.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.