The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe i'm just looking in all the wrong places but i can't seem to find a good review comparing the planted plus and the current led plus. so i started this thread for a Sattelite and Finnex smackdown (not really). i really just want opinions from people who own both and which they like best or if they enjoy them both equally. so lets hear it:icon_bigg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's really going to depend on price, needs, etc
That is true but lets leave price out since they are about the same, so i guess i'm interested more in which peforms better with plants, and lets assume it's the only fixture on your tank..(in case you couldn't tell i want to know becuase i can't decide...lol)

·
Registered
835 Posts
what's the depth of the tank? Overall, Finnex has higher PAR ratings. Current comes with a remote and the timer function seems pretty neat though

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well my tank is 55 gallon and with the substrate it's about 18-19 inches top to bottom...i too like all of the features sattelite has but most of it is extras i could do without, so PAR reading is more important to me personally...the timer function on the sattelite is pretty cool as well because while the planted plus has the moonlight which is neat..you can't exactly put the fixture on a timer becuase it will shut the whole unit off during "night" hours...so you have to switch back and forth manually...again not a huge deal but just a few things i'm considering

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the satellite, the only extra function that I like from the remote is the sunrise/sunset mode, and the rest I can live without. It's pretty bright on my 20 gallon with 12" in height. Sorry if I hijack your thread a little bit, but maybe this will help you decide too. Anybody knows if one current satellite plus is good enough to grow red plant like ludwigia red? If not, can the finnex planted plus do it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the satellite, the only extra function that I like from the remote is the sunrise/sunset mode, and the rest I can live without. It's pretty bright on my 20 gallon with 12" in height. Sorry if I hijack your thread a little bit, but maybe this will help you decide too. Anybody knows if one current satellite plus is good enough to grow red plant like ludwigia red? If not, can the finnex planted plus do it?
not at all, hijacking is encouraged;) the more information i can get the better..especially since i was thinking of purchasing luwigia red myself and currently have rotala indica and would like to get more red out of them.. so when i comes to the sat+ can you set the sunrise/sunset and lunar features for a certain time and just let it go?...or do you still have to change them yourself with the remote?

·
Registered
213 Posts
not at all, hijacking is encouraged;) the more information i can get the better..especially since i was thinking of purchasing luwigia red myself and currently have rotala indica and would like to get more red out of them.. so when i comes to the sat+ can you set the sunrise/sunset and lunar features for a certain time and just let it go?...or do you still have to change them yourself with the remote?
You have to change them yourself, or you can get the ramp timer from current for 25 dollars on amazon. It's like a timer, but it switches slowly from sunrise>full spectrum> sunset. I know for sure that I can grow red plant if I get another one, since I saw people grow red plants with two before. The thing is I can only afford one. I'm growing red plants right now, so I'll see if it is possible to get them to stay red. If not, I think I'll return it, and get the finnex planted.

·
Registered
835 Posts
well my tank is 55 gallon and with the substrate it's about 18-19 inches top to bottom...i too like all of the features sattelite has but most of it is extras i could do without, so PAR reading is more important to me personally...the timer function on the sattelite is pretty cool as well because while the planted plus has the moonlight which is neat..you can't exactly put the fixture on a timer becuase it will shut the whole unit off during "night" hours...so you have to switch back and forth manually...again not a huge deal but just a few things i'm considering
for a 55 gallon, I would go with a Finnex Ray2.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have to change them yourself, or you can get the ramp timer from current for 25 dollars on amazon. It's like a timer, but it switches slowly from sunrise>full spectrum> sunset. I know for sure that I can grow red plant if I get another one, since I saw people grow red plants with two before. The thing is I can only afford one. I'm growing red plants right now, so I'll see if it is possible to get them to stay red. If not, I think I'll return it, and get the finnex planted.
same here, i can only afford one so i want to take the time to research all my options before i buy, thats why i was hoping to get a side-by-side comparison from someone who owned both but thats easier said than done, i'm leaning towards planted+ but i just wish i could have it switch from "day" to "night" automatically...i realize the moonlight setting is really just asthetic but i really like that option

·
Registered
835 Posts
I second that. My tank is at 12" high, there is only 36 par with the current. And I read somewhere that the ray2 can't grow red plants, or rather make them red, since it lacks the red spectrum.

mine makes my ludwigia red

·
Registered
16 Posts
I second that. My tank is at 12" high, there is only 36 par with the current. And I read somewhere that the ray2 can't grow red plants, or rather make them red, since it lacks the red spectrum.
I've seen a lot of youtube videos with heavily planted tanks and a lot of happy healthy looking red plants included. The finnex website has the light spectrum graph of the ray2, and although it doesn't have a huge red spike like a colourmax or something, it's still got more than enough to show red in both plants and fish imho!

http://finnex.ca/shop/led-aquarium-lighting/finnex-ray-ii-ds-dual-7000k/

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The Current USA ramp timer (the simple single channel one, $25) only takes the light from on to off (over 15 min, nice fade). It doesn't change modes on the light, just powers it up in whatever mode you had it one last. I sure wish it did, as that's my biggest wish, but no, slow on and off is all it does, no mode changes.

There's an arduino thread that does all you could want, I believe, for those inclined to tinker. But the current (ha!) batch of controllers from current don't do much with the Sat+.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The Current USA ramp timer (the simple single channel one, $25) only takes the light from on to off (over 15 min, nice fade). It doesn't change modes on the light, just powers it up in whatever mode you had it one last. I sure wish it did, as that's my biggest wish, but no, slow on and off is all it does, no mode changes.

There's an arduino thread that does all you could want, I believe, for those inclined to tinker. But the current (ha!) batch of controllers from current don't do much with the Sat+.
Yeah, I meant to put it that way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
for a 55 gallon, I would go with a Finnex Ray2.
ok so your saying that if i'm going with just one fixture the ray 2 is a better option than planted+?....my tank is low tech and has rotala indica that i would like to have at least moderately red tones....the ray 2 doesn't have the lunar lights but if its a better option than the planted + for my tank i can just add small blue led strips later.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Current Sat+ 48" owner here with a 55 gallon tank running pressurized CO2 with good results and a handful of red leafed plants. My Planted+ is on order, arriving tomorrow for a second tank, so I can't really compare the two yet. I have a 12" planted+ on an Aqueon Evolve 4 gallon and I've been very happy with it. carpeting plants have done very well with it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Current Sat+ 48" owner here with a 55 gallon tank running pressurized CO2 with good results and a handful of red leafed plants. My Planted+ is on order, arriving tomorrow for a second tank, so I can't really compare the two yet. I have a 12" planted+ on an Aqueon Evolve 4 gallon and I've been very happy with it. carpeting plants have done very well with it.
good to know:red_mouth....please update on any comparisons when you get a chance..possibly even pics?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.