The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum Just Looking to see who is on here from the 831. Over the years i have had trouble meeting planted tank lovers on this side of the hill. Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome, I am new also even though I joined almost a year ago. Sorry to interrupt, but I was wondering how to start a thread. I tried one and got a message saying that I didn't have the authority to do so. I just hit the "start thread" button in the faq tab.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, planted tank-wise, that about sums it up. Very few interested folks here.
sad when i had my reef tank you could barley throw a rock without hitting a reefer in santa cruz but when it comes to planted freshwater its a ghost town

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks speedie already an sfbaaps member just dont see to many people from this side of the hill i will have to pay more attention to peoples locations

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm here! I just moved to Monterey in october. I took down my 40 breeder reef tank and 12 gallon nano cube chocolate gourami/samurai gourami tanks when I moved. I'm planning on setting up the 40 as a planted chocolate and samurai gourami tank, but kinda disappointed by the lack of lfs and clubs in the area! Where do you guys shop?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've been in the trade for a modestly long time. Just moved from LA to Aptos. I left my 20G which I'm quite proud of (after doing countless hours of research) in LA.

For now I have a little 1.5G that I'm trying to add small shrimp and fish to.

The only good fish store in this area is in Watsonville. From what I gathered, planted tank enthusiasts are far and few between (as is the case everywhere but LA and SF compensate with much larger populations - enough to sustain clubs and stores).

Prices are through the roof - that alone is a good indicator of the relative popularity of fish keeping and especially planted tank keeping. Assassin snails go for 4 bucks a pop - double that in LA (and that's amongst the more expensive stores). Other fish are similarly more expensive (harlequin rasboras are 3 bucks a pop).

So Cal was great - easy for swaps and buys.

But alas, what can you do.

·
Are these real?
15,714 Posts
I'm here! I just moved to Monterey in october. I took down my 40 breeder reef tank and 12 gallon nano cube chocolate gourami/samurai gourami tanks when I moved. I'm planning on setting up the 40 as a planted chocolate and samurai gourami tank, but kinda disappointed by the lack of lfs and clubs in the area! Where do you guys shop?
Brand new to forum - but 831 I am :)

Not a lot of places to buy here
:( or I don't know where to look lol
Welcome to the area/forum! There is a LPS called "PetFun" in Salinas. Not much different than the Pet**** chains. That said, I usually buy stuff online, incl from the Swap&Shop section here. Better plant selection, and prices are usually more competitive. Only thing I get locally on a regular basis is frozen food. :icon_sad:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Amazingly for the area there arent any good fish stores anymore. San jose/freemont area have a bunch

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
712 Posts
It is unfortunate. Having said that, does anyone have a small heater I can buy - we're talking tiny here...only a 1.5G tank lol.

How about RCS? :D

·
Registered
863 Posts
I might have a very very lightly used flat heater made for 5g and under. Ill check tomorrow. I have rcs also. If you want can combine shipping for $5. Ill repost tomorrow afternoon

·
Registered
712 Posts
I might have a very very lightly used flat heater made for 5g and under. Ill check tomorrow. I have rcs also. If you want can combine shipping for $5. Ill repost tomorrow afternoon

Sounds good to me...let me know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Petfun has gotten a lot better. I don't know if that is due to new management or just new policies. My problem with them in the past was with placing a special order. After getting the run around from them about the arrival of my order, which included the supervisor, I decided to drive to the store only to find my order on display and for sale (they didn't stock those prior to my order). There were other issues with them in the future with regards to customer service. I stopped by not too long ago and saw a lot of new faces there which were in general nicer and more knowledgeable than the people they had in the past.

If you don't mind driving up to Watsonville, there is Tropi-quarium which has fish that look pretty healthy. They're a little pricy however.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts