The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions how one might go about putting a sand trail in their tank. I'm using a gravel/flourite mix so if i just put the sand in, it will fall through that to the bottom, is there any easy way i could achieve this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm, I don't quite follow? You mean they cover the area with newspaper and then put the sand on top of that? wouldn't other paper be better if this is what you mean, and would it not just break apart leaving the sand to fall to the bottom?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
he means covering the substrate that you dont want sand to go with paper, while you put the sand in place. then remove the paper before you plant and add water.

As far as prevent sand from creeping and the other substrate from creeping I would suggest trying egg-crate (drop ceiling light diffuser available at big box hardware stores or online) and cut it to width of your trail, then various lengths to achieve whatever curve you desire then bury it with the sand. I would go with 2-3 layers of egg-crate stacked on top of one another depending on the depth you intend the substrate and sand to be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.