The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you clean it? just set up my 125 gallon using black diamond. just curious if I need to clean it occasionally and if I do how so?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have play sand, it does need some care. Every time I do a water change, I take some pool slide tubing that I bought and hold my thumb over 1 opening, dunk the other end in and hover it over the fish poo. Then I take my thumb off the closed end for a second to suck it up, in order to dump it in a bucket for dirty water. When I'm done, I flush it down the toilet.
Also, if you have a very deep layer of sand you may have to either poke it or get Malaysian Trumpet Snails to release gas from anaerobic pockets.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Don't know the type of sand you're using - there are many different consistencies & behavioral patterns.
I have white silica PFS, and I lightly run a vac just above the top of it with each wc to clean up the accumulation of any debris.
With each wc, I also lightly stir it up, particularly all the exposed areas, which do tend to dirty up with time, as well as perhaps accumulating a slight film of algae from time to time. This keeps it looking clean.
Every 6 or 8 months or so, I find it neccessary to vacuum up the top 10%-15% layer, and replace with new sand, to keep it looking as pristine as possible.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That does, from the most part sounds like some minimal maintenance stuff, just dont want to go vaccuming all my sand out the tank!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Again, I don't know the weight/density of the sand your'e using, but PFS doesn't get drawn up into an aquarium vacuum. Even if you hold the head right down unto the sand, small amounts of sand will move up the vac pipe just a couple of inches, and tumble right back down.
When I want to remove some sand, I need to use 1/2" siphon hose tubing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.