The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, was wondering if this is possible, I have an established 40 Gal with about 1.5" of Eco Complete, I was watching Father Fishes vids on DSB's, & was wondering if I capped off the Eco Complete with about 1-2 in of sand, Can I effectively create a functional, low maintenance tank?

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Was going to make the same comment - finer grained, heavier sand will work it's way to the bottom.
As for "complete" - Eco Complete is definitely not complete. Have had it in 2 of my tanks for many years.

Reactions: Asteroid

·
Registered
782 Posts
The only benefit to adding sand would probably be to increase the depth of the substrate, which might be helpful if you planned to add plants that require more room for rooting. Otherwise it's not going to be worth doing.

As others pointed out, it's not going to stay on top, but ecocomplete is pretty low maintenance. I use it in all my larger tanks, and it's basically just really porous gravel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I mean, people are saying you don't have to do it, but if you WANT to do it, i dont see why not! I have a similar substrate and capped it with white sand, and it works well. Just make sure to add a few root tabs (if you have heavy root feeders) as it might take a little longer for roots to dig down into the actual soil. But totally do-able!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.