The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used blank sand in the past, and I already have it ready to go for my 180, but pool filter sand, has me tempted to try it, but it always worry it going to always look dirty.

Anyone care to share that went from always using black sand to pool filter sand? Will I hate it? I cannot stand the bottom of the tank to be dirty, and never had that problem with black in the past.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Yes, light colored pool filter sand will of course show dirt (wastes), but if you're prepared to put in that little extra effort to keep it clean with regular vacuumings, you may be very pleased with the fresh, crisp look, and feel it's well worth it.

Some aquarists will disagree with me, but using black sand has, as a result, a tendency for some to be a little more lax cleaning it up - and they will have dirtier sand ( and less clean tank conditions & poorer water quality) - but you just don't see it - so out of sight, out of mind. I used black sand years ago, but switched to white and never looked back.

I've now used white pool filter sand in all my tanks for years, and wouldn't use anything else. Here's the look: (some love it, some don't).

·
Registered
601 Posts
i love the look of it, but for the life of me I cannot get it clean. I vacuum and the very next day it shows waste. I've tried adding a filter, a power head, moving things around, no matter what I do waste just seems to collect. It's for this reason I'll likely be moving to a darker substrate in my next redo of this tank and other tanks going forward.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.