The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today during my lunch break I went to the Aqua Forest ( located at 1718 Fillmore St, San Francisco, CA 94115 415-929-8883). This place was AMAZING, all ADA show tanks set up wonderfully, they have the best selection of plants and fish I have seen in a lfs (I use that term for lack of a better one). Incredable tanks with some really great ideas. Not only do they have a great selection of hard to find plants, all the ADA products you could think of, but my favorite thing (although I don't need it anymore) is that they sell Java fern, and Java moss (as well as some other types) already attached to wood and rocks. These are not tied down but have well formed root stuctures, and I talked to the owner for awhile, he said that if you bought the plants and wood/rocks from them that they would begin it for anyone so that you could add it to your tank having never learned how to tie down properly.

Thought I would share with all the Northern cali ppl who have never been, you will be impressed, but they are very expensive if you plan to buy........:biggrin:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I work about a minute from there and visit every now and then. SF's best planted tank store? More like the only truly dedicated one :)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Yeah, I've been there once -- quite a trek from Sacramento! It's an amazing store. I was stunned at how expensive the ADA wood is -- good Lord! The piece that caught my eye initially was $72, so I passed on it. Ended up getting a few medium-smaller pieces. They have some really nice tank set ups and had some fish and plants that I've never seen in a store before. Crystal Red Shrimp (CRS) were there and that's the first and only time I've seen them in a LFS. They also had Celestial Pearl Danios (previously known as Galaxy Rasboras). Thumbs up! Be sure to go there prepared to spend some $$...it's worth it though, as the products are top-notch.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I work about a minute from there and visit every now and then. SF's best planted tank store? More like the only truly dedicated one :)

The tall mosty fern tank by the counter is amazing, I felt retarded just standing there wishing it was mine

Yeah, I've been there once -- quite a trek from Sacramento! It's an amazing store. I was stunned at how expensive the ADA wood is -- good Lord! The piece that caught my eye initially was $72, so I passed on it. Ended up getting a few medium-smaller pieces. They have some really nice tank set ups and had some fish and plants that I've never seen in a store before. Crystal Red Shrimp (CRS) were there and that's the first and only time I've seen them in a LFS. They also had Celestial Pearl Danios (previously known as Galaxy Rasboras). Thumbs up! Be sure to go there prepared to spend some $$...it's worth it though, as the products are top-notch.

Their price for CRS as of 4/26/07 29.99 Wholy sh^t I have seen ppl here sell them for wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less, but they were all nice and preggo'ed

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, the tank by the counter is set up really nice. I tend to stand there for a while staring as well :)

Wow, it went up to $29.99 for the CRS? I was just there the other day and they were at $25.00.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maybe your right I just remember thinking thats a lot more then I have even spent for a fish and we are talking a shrimp

·
Registered
253 Posts
Albany aquarium has a very nice selection of plants and fish, and they also quarantine their fish for a month before selling them. Ocean aquarium is the place to find hard to find plants and livestock.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ocean Aquarium is worth checking out. Justin is a real character. I could spend hours in there looking at the aquariums. They're all maintained really well and are really beautiful; not in an Amano kind of way.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Ocean Aquarium is worth checking out. Justin is a real character. I could spend hours in there looking at the aquariums. They're all maintained really well and are really beautiful; not in an Amano kind of way.
I tried to find this place the other day and was unsucessful. I had an address of 120 Cedar? Is that correct? When I went there Cedar was essentially just an alley off of Van Ness. Can anyone help?

I guess I could call there too huh?

·
Registered
786 Posts
yep, it's in an alley that goes between Van Ness and Polk St. There's a glass door usually propped open with a sign "appointment only" on it. That's the place.

·
Registered
459 Posts
yep, it's in an alley that goes between Van Ness and Polk St. There's a glass door usually propped open with a sign "appointment only" on it. That's the place.
I have never seen "appointment only" on the door. It does say "no saltwater" which is funny since it's called Ocean Aquarium. They're open every day except Christmas, 11am-7pm.

It's such a cool store. You would never know what a non-CO2 aquarium is capable of unless you saw this store. He grows so many plants that you wouldn't think would do well without CO2, even a little Tonina. A lot of the tanks are very small and just have screw in CF lighting, many don't even have filters, yet the fish are all very healthy. Justin is a really cool guy and really knows his stuff.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Visited Ocean Aquarium today and I must say - lack of words here- the place is a dump. But what a neat little dump it is!!!! All of his plants look healthy but appear to be stunted. I guess due to the lack of CO2. But he has so many planted tanks - I think every tank there is planted. Totally cool. Really nice selection of fish.

Ever notice the HEX he's got near the entrance? It looks like it's been hit by something and has a crack in it. I noticed that he just superglued a plastic patch to keep the crack in check.

Nice little store but I cruised up the road to Aqua Forest to get my plants. I got a nice package of HC, Tonia, R. Walichii, Eustralis and Downoi. Spent over 50 bucks but well woth the price. Some of the nicest plants I've seen in any aquarium.

So my tour of San Francisco ends.... I never thought I'd say this but I prefer Los Angeles to the Bay area any day of the week. Just wish we had some aquariums that speacialized in planted aquaria like they have up here....

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've made a rule for myself: Don't go to Aqua Forest unless I actually have a decent amount of money to spend :D

I went there last week, and had I not been so excited to setup my CO2 system, I'd probably end inspecting/admiring every single tank they have, and probably spending more money buying several plants.

Although my gf is okay with me having this expensive hobby, she's not into it as much as she is into pugs -- but when she saw the tanks at Aqua Forest she immediately understood what I was trying to accomplish :) I promised her I'll make her that itsy bitsy betta "tank" (which I suspect she only wanted because the betta and the trimming of the "tank" was purple).

·
Registered
45 Posts
We visited SF this weekend also, and we're also living in LA right now. My wife is actually obsessed with our pugs too, but she's a bit cooler about my aquarium hobby!

This shop was great, although I see what you all mean about the prices. I brought a couple friends who live up there with us, and they were looking at me like I was strange before we got to the shop..("really?...a plant aquarium?...) but once we got there, they were sold, and spent the rest of the time oohing and ahhing over the ADA tanks and asking about setting one up!

I do wish LA had a place like this.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts