The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard this plant grows fast, but just how fast?

Like 10 new leaves per week? 15? 50? I'd just like a rough estimate. I think I'm going to buy some very soon and I'd just like to know what I'm getting myself into. I really won't mind having to take it out constantly if it comes to that. In fact, I'd probably enjoy it :).

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have a different species of salvinia, but when it's happy it can go from covering 25% of the tank to 95% of the tank in a week in a tank that I don't fertilize too heavily. I've kept it in situations where it didn't grow at all (tank was not being fertilized at all, the salvinia was just providing cover and dim lighting for new fish) and where it grew more slowly, it just depends.

It's easy to remove the extra like you mentioned, but be careful and do not throw it away anywhere it might get into local waterways! It can be very invasive and is illegal in many states.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have it in my small 6-gallon shrimp cube with a basic planted tank light. I can go from 2 or 3 strands to the whole tank covered in about 7-10 days. It definitely grows quick under good lights; and steady but slower under low lighting. But my shrimp absolutely love it!!

It's easy to remove the extra like you mentioned, but be careful and do not throw it away anywhere it might get into local waterways! It can be very invasive and is illegal in many states.
I absolutely second the above though!!! It's really easy to remove but be careful how you throw it away! I usually let mine dry out in a cup for a few days before I toss it in the trash.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
It's easier when you have a clump of it, if you're starting with one then it'd take awhile, but a clump? You could fill a 2g top in maybe 2 weeks or so. They're fast but not as fast as duckweed in my experience.

Best way to throw away floaters? Composting!!!!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
It's easier when you have a clump of it, if you're starting with one then it'd take awhile, but a clump? You could fill a 2g top in maybe 2 weeks or so. They're fast but not as fast as duckweed in my experience.

Best way to throw away floaters? Composting!!!!
100% on the composting- high levels of nitrates and phosphates, excellent to fuel terrestrial plant growth!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.