The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some Salvinia Cucullata and now spread it among 4 tanks. The question I have is: in one tank the roots are about 2.5-3" long. In the other tanks, the roots are about 1" long. Is this a sign that they need more food? This is a 10 gallon former shrimp tank, now a single nitrite snail tank.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Sometimes it depends on the flow. To my understanding, most floating plants like slow to no flow at all. This can make a big difference in their growth. I used to have Dwarf water lettuce that had 8-10" long roots(that I trimmed) and it sat in areas with barely any flow.

If the leaves look relatively healthy, same color between the one with 1" long roots vs the 2.5-3" roots, then I would not worry about nutrients.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This tank seems to have more flow than the other tanks (maybe that's the cause). It's a divided 10 gallon with a XY-2881 sponge filter on each side. My other 10 gallon has one XY-2882 and my 20 gallons have two XY-2882.The coloration of the leaves isn't as bright as the other tanks, but that may be because the lid is opaque plastic (except where the light is, all have Nicrew ClassicLED Plus)) as opposed to all glass on the other tanks.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I’ve had S cucullata in a pretty high flow high tech tank also and it never had longer than about 1” roots. Had red root floaters in the same tank and they also had pretty short roots about 1”.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.