The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a CRS tank and I got a few questions. I added 2.35g ss to 5 gallons water (ro and di) and I'm getting 5dgh but my tds is 94. I've recalibrated my tds with the 342 solution and bought a new meter same numbers. I was expecting 130 from the videos I've been watching. Is 5dgh okay or is more better

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
Agree, aim for 5-7 and you're good. Hard to say if your TDS meters are off in the same direction or not (hobby grade units are almost always off except when you first calibrate) but they provide a framework to go from. If dosing the same volume of water every time, you can dial it in pretty close with your meter from here on out. I bother to test GH 2-4x a year at most these days. SS and Dennerle make very consistent batches in my experience.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I'd say to just leave it and call it good... TDS may rise on it's own in the tank. If you are really worried, there is a "TDS UP" product made for shrimp... have heard of a few people using it... don't know if it's made a difference or not.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been adding ammonia it's 112 now.

Bump:
Agree, aim for 5-7 and you're good. Hard to say if your TDS meters are off in the same direction or not (hobby grade units are almost always off except when you first calibrate) but they provide a framework to go from. If dosing the same volume of water every time, you can dial it in pretty close with your meter from here on out. I bother to test GH 2-4x a year at most these days. SS and Dennerle make very consistent batches in my experience.
Yeah I did calibrate the meter and the new meter is reading the same within 3ppm. It's a new tank and my first dive into CRS so I'm testing gh to get it dialed.

On another note I'm using Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit Rio Escuro substrate and my pH is 7 still. How long to affect pH? Kh is 0. Using prolly 7 to 8lbs and 7.5gallons of water.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I add 0.15g of SS GH+ per litre of RO to give me 6 dGH and a TDS of about ~130ppm (and 1.75g per litre to give 7 dGH and ~150 TDS).
So your numbers look about right to me!

I would avoid paying too much attention to any TDS numbers anyone else tells you (in online videos or otherwise) since TDS readings can vary widely between meters and many people have never calibrated theirs.

Worth checking with the supplier of your CRS to see what they keep / breed them at and aim to match that, but 5 GH is pretty common. My local breeder has them in 3GH/0KH water with a TDs of only 66 which I was quite surprised at! Good to match whatever the shrimp you get are used to for easier acclimation.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I add 0.15g of SS GH+ per litre of RO to give me 6 dGH and a TDS of about ~130ppm (and 1.75g per litre to give 7 dGH and ~150 TDS).
So your numbers look about right to me!

I would avoid paying too much attention to any TDS numbers anyone else tells you (in online videos or otherwise) since TDS readings can vary widely between meters and many people have never calibrated theirs.

Worth checking with the supplier of your CRS to see what they keep / breed them at and aim to match that, but 5 GH is pretty common. My local breeder has them in 3GH/0KH water with a TDs of only 66 which I was quite surprised at! Good to match whatever the shrimp you get are used to for easier acclimation.
Ok
Breeder said they at 4 to 5 dgh and 100 to 140 tds

·
Registered
374 Posts
Breeder said they at 4 to 5 dgh and 100 to 140 tds
I would aim for 5 dGH then. SS GH+ gives you a TDS of about 21 ppm per dH, so 5 dGH should give you a TDS of just over 100 ppm and in the range your breeder mentioned. It's ok (even good) that your new tank is currently at the lower end of the range; the TDS may gradually rise as your tank ages and there's more other "total dissolved stuff" in the water.

Enjoy your new shrimp! =}

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.