The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using an API test kit (drops not strips) I decided to test the ratio of 1/.5 of Salty Shrimp GH/KH+ and I am not getting a ratio of 1/.5. I start with RO water of 5PPM and add Salty Shrimp GH/KH+ until my ro meter reads 200ppm. If I am not mistaken the final PPM reading should not affect the ratio and just increase the degrees of hardness.

At 200PM I read 3 degrees of KH and 9 degrees of GH. Shouldn't I be getting 3 degrees KH and 6 Degrees GH? How on earth is this possible unless my API test kit is off or the salty shrimp is not the correct ratio? Am I misunderstanding something? Its obvious the number of drops it takes for the test kit to change color. The color keeps getting darker in intensity before obviously changing to a different color.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep! I use RO/DI water
Maybe my RO filter isn't doing its job. I just found other people online getting your readings too 7/3 which still isn't exactly 2/1. I'm going to go to the store and buy a jug of distilled water tomorrow and run the test again using my blue labs combo meter instead of my cheap tds pen. This is driving me crazy. Regardless my parameters work for neocardina but still I want to understand why my readings aren't matching 2/1 as on the container

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might try contacting Salty Shrimp directly after doing a new test.

At 150+ TDS, if the TDS pen is calibrated correctly, the Neos ought to be fine. Potentially lower is also possible.
The pen is definitely consistent. As for calibration I think it is close too correct but I don't think it would matter for my question because even if the pen isn't calibrated right I think the ratio should still be 2/1 or 1 - .5 which I'm not seeing. Since it just measures electric current both my GH & KH would just be off at the correct ratio if the pen wasn't calibrated. Since my KH is hitting the number I expect of 3 I would expect to see a GH of 6 or at least 7 as others are getting? The numbers WaldoDude got of 3/7 are consistent with the results I found searching other online forums results. I haven't found anybody that received the true 2/1 or 1-.5 but most people aren't showing their results online after mixing and only after adding to the aquarium which adds other things into the equation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I was using SS GH/KH, I did get the 2/1 results. I stopped using it when I switched the tank over to an acidic tank.

I may use it again when setting up new tanks.
HMM that is good to know. I just ordered a new RO filter regardless because my initial water is reading a little above 0 and up there in age but nowhere near reading 53 PPM after being filtered. It's closer to 10. If you read the chart on the API test kit 3 degrees dGH (even though there is no dGH column just dKH)= 53.7 PPM so I would believe that is about how much my initial RO water would have to have be before adding the salty shrimp for the possibility of being off by 3 degrees GH higher than KH.

·
Registered
171 Posts
2 things that can affect your result are how much you mix/how long you wait after making water to measure it. So for me to get around 200 tds, I use the scoop that comes with the SS and add just under 2 even scoops to 5G. Mix it well, then it sits while I do my siphoning out the old water, scraping my algae, general maintenance. Then measure before add to see if need any adjustment.
If you add powder, stir, measure, add, stir, measure until you hit 200 right away at the top, it may be the whole bucket isnt even. Like when you add sugar to coffee and stirred it, but the bottom slurp is still the sweetest.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 things that can affect your result are how much you mix/how long you wait after making water to measure it. So for me to get around 200 tds, I use the scoop that comes with the SS and add just under 2 even scoops to 5G. Mix it well, then it sits while I do my siphoning out the old water, scraping my algae, general maintenance. Then measure before add to see if need any adjustment.
If you add powder, stir, measure, add, stir, measure until you hit 200 right away at the top, it may be the whole bucket isnt even. Like when you add sugar to coffee and stirred it, but the bottom slurp is still the sweetest.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah my tds is stable it's the ratio of KH/GH after testing that doesn't make sense. I ran the KH/GH test before adding to the aquarium using my relively low TDS RO water reading 15ppm. I know that is high for RO water and a new RO filter has been added. I still don't think 15ppm should skew the KH/GH ratios that much since 1 degree gh is 15ppm. I ordered a gallon of distilled water with my whole foods home delivery order that should be showing up today because I was too lazy to go out and buy a gallon of distilled water :). I should know what the deal is tonight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK after using distilled water that read 0ppm on my meter I still get a reading of 9 dGH and 3 dKH or a ratio of 3/1. Either my GH test kit drops are wrong or my batch of salty shrimp is bad. Should I buy a new test kit?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you'd be fine even if the water test is 3/1. KH is not as important as GH. As long as the GH is at least 6-7, the shrimp should be fine.
I understand and agree. I would just like to figure out if either my salty shrimp or kh/gh test kit is bad. I wanted to know if my salty shrimp results seemed normal on 0ppm water which it appears my results are off.

I am having no luck finding contact details from the manufacturer. All I come up with is a website that has no number or email address. They have a forum but it's in German.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just mixed a batch of RODI water with SS GH/KH+ from a brand new package of SS and it is coming out at roughly 2/1 (GH/KH) for me. (Maybe 2.2/1 at the most) TDS meter confirms expected results after testing with API kit.

I would buy a new test kit to confirm as they are fairly cheap. Odd thing is I have used old test kits and saw obviously incorrect results, but I never really saw any degradation from my old GH/KH test kits. In fact after reading this I went out to my garage and pulled out a few bottles of API GH/KH test solution that I know is 10 years old and tested with it and saw no difference to my new kit. (I buy new kits every year or so)

If the SS is giving you 3/1, then I would try to get a refund or exchange as no telling what else could be off it indeed it is a bad batch of SS.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was going to say, another thing that can make your result inaccurate on the drop test is you must invert after every drop, give it a second. I bought a roll of parafilm to use instead of the snap caps to make it less of a pita. So you add your drop, put parafilm on your thumb, use your thumb to cover top of tube, invert, and look. Eg testing GH: Still orange? add another drop, invert again, look. If its on the edge of changing, invert again and look, soon as it goes green thats your endpoint. If you are adding until its a strong green, you are going too far. For KH same principle, different colors (blue to yellow iirc?)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was going to say, another thing that can make your result inaccurate on the drop test is you must invert after every drop, give it a second. I bought a roll of parafilm to use instead of the snap caps to make it less of a pita. So you add your drop, put parafilm on your thumb, use your thumb to cover top of tube, invert, and look. Eg testing GH: Still orange? add another drop, invert again, look. If its on the edge of changing, invert again and look, soon as it goes green thats your endpoint. If you are adding until its a strong green, you are going too far. For KH same principle, different colors (blue to yellow iirc?)
Yeah I did it like 15 times for each one going fast and slow. I always landed on 3 drops KH & 8-9 drops GH. Going out to buy another test kit now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would give it a shot with a new API GH solution, I’ve found in the past that every now and then there is a test solution that comes faulty or expired too early. (Happened to me with a Phosphates test)

I use SS and measure 2gr with the supplied spoon and the help of a scale, and add it to 10L of 0TDS water, and my API GH and KH test are around 6/3 and 6/2.5 very consistently.

I know it is not ideal, but try buying a new GH test.

Hope it is just a fluke test solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would give it a shot with a new API GH solution, I’ve found in the past that every now and then there is a test solution that comes faulty or expired too early. (Happened to me with a Phosphates test)

I use SS and measure 2gr with the supplied spoon and the help of a scale, and add it to 10L of 0TDS water, and my API GH and KH test are around 6/3 and 6/2.5 very consistently.

I know it is not ideal, but try buying a new GH test.

Hope it is just a fluke test solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought the API test strips that do GH and KH and those are impossible to read and not acurate for GH and KH. I also got a new API GH/KH test kit from a different local aquarium supply store and validated the batch numbers on the solution are different. I mixed a batch to 300PPM using distilled water and received 4-5 KH and 13 GH. I know I mixed it to a higher PPM than recommended I was just trying to test the 1-.5 ratio and figured since I was working with a small volume of test water a higher concentration would be more accurate since using more product.. This validated my test kits are identical. I am going to buy another container of salty shrimp online from a different source. If I get different results I will return the original. I have wasted a ton of time and money on it at this point why not go all in. If anybody knows how to contact the manufacturer I would appreciate it. The website only lists an inactive forum in German.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.