The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 5 long finned black skirt tetra's and I've heard that all tropical fish can tolerate a little bit of aquarium salt. I've heard it can help them if needed. I have some aquarium salt but haven't used it. I was wondering if my tetra's can handle a little aquarium salt or if it would harm them?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
the aquarium salt used is not the same kinda salt as what changes the waters salinity (I know, its confusing but on a chemical level makes sense)

regular aquarium salt is often used for ich treatment and as a general tonic. I've seen debate about how useful it really is or isn't, but a little bit doesn't really seem to hurt. Only thing though, is that if this is a planted tank, you plants will probably not be happy with you. I keep some around though, just because I feel like its good to have on hand.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. It is pretty confusing, I've had no luck with fish so far so I'm worried to death about these tetra's. I'm hoping I can keep them healthy. Anyway, again thank you for the help. I'm actually hoping to do a planted tank here soon. My boyfriend has a 56 gallon tall planted tank and it's beautiful. Thanks again for the help!!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
From reading on some forum posts it can raise the salinity.

It's marketed for freshwater use and it won't have the same composition you're looking for in keeping marine fish but can raise salinity.

Follow the directions and you should be ok, I've have used too much and seen adverse reactions when trying to treat ich.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.