The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im tryin to do a friend a favor and look into a salt water tank for her but dont know of any other places to look besides craigslist for a set up, anyone know of another place to look prob a 40b-55 size wise and what you would generally pay for a set up in that range used as idk how much chillers run or last

·
Registered
370 Posts
The craigslist ad is actually a GREAT price considering what is offered there, but, I'm the kind of person that would rather get exactly what I want the first time (and in salt water this can save you alot of $$$ in the long run)...

A 55 has the same problem be it saltwater or freshwater... They are very narrow which makes them hard to scape. If you have the room for a 55, then you have the room for a 75 too.

Comes with a fluval 305... They are nice, but alot of SW people look down on canister filters because if they are not well maintained they become nitrate factories (definitively a no-
no in SW).

As far as lighting goes, CFs are kinda going out of style with reefers (heat issues/bulb price/ect.) So finding a different setup equiped with T5s would be preferable.
\
Comes with a protein skimmer. These are very nice and arguably an necessity for tanks of that size. The problem is, brand/maker is everything here. If it is made by tunze or reef octopus (just 2 of many good brands BTW) it will function great for years to come. If it is that cheap @$$ seaclone that they sell at petsmart you will be adjusting it constantly and probably just give up on it after about the third time the collection cup overfills and spills smelly, fowl marine waste all over your floor.

Craigslist is definitely the right place too look though, or a large SW forum (thereeftank.com, 3reef.com, reefcentral.com).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Local reef forum sites are great places to find deals. If you can find an established tank, that's great. The big money in salt is set up. LR is crazy money. I'd also vote for T5s over CF. Also, a good protein skimmer will save you some headaches. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.