The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. I have been treating my angelfish for a little over a week in a mild salt water bath in my quarantine tank (1 tsp/gal of water). I now need to move him back into my main tank. I have read a 30% water change and wait a week. then another 30% water change with another week. Does anyone have any input on this? Is it necessary to wait so long in between water changes or can i just acclimate him in a day or two with water changes then reintroduce him to my main aquarium? Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I don't think you have to wait so many days between wc to re-adjust to normal water parameters. But I have never kept an angelfish in a salt bath for an extended period of time. I would do a wc in morning again in evening, repeat next day until salt is all removed. Or go one day between wc's even better.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I never use salt it causes liver failure and dehydration for fish

·
Super Moderator
15,777 Posts
I never use salt it causes liver failure and dehydration for fish
This is only true if salt is used at an extremely high dosage for an extended period of time. Otherwise, it's entirely safe. Which is why it's been used for decades by millions of hobbyists with no issues.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Angel fish came from soft water region and do not appreciate salty water. You can even kill some blackwater fish if you salt it. If you are salting it to prevent ick outbreak, it is overkill, unecessary, and it’s better of observe the fish for two weeks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think you have to wait so many days between wc to re-adjust to normal water parameters. But I have never kept an angelfish in a salt bath for an extended period of time. I would do a wc morning, evening, repeat next day until salt is all removed. Or go one day between wc's even better.
It's just a myth that fish from soft water regions can't tolerate quick salt dips. But no one in their right mind would subject most aquarium fish to longterm salt. Regardless of whether or not they're soft water species. A few minutes to an hour at most.
salt water is a legitimate treatment for all kinds of fish and for many types of diseases for weeks at a time in many cases. And at different dose levels. Some fish take them better than others and some not at all. Not only just a few minutes to an hour at most. It's all over the place from some of the most reputable sites on the internet. I just watched a phd marine biologist talk about salt treatment for Ich and recommended a dose for up to two weeks in this certain case.

·
Registered
81 Posts
salt water is a legitimate treatment for all kinds of fish and for many types of diseases for weeks at a time in many cases. And at different dose levels. Some fish take them better than others and some not at all. Not only just a few minutes to an hour at most. It's all over the place from some of the most reputable sites on the internet. I just watched a phd marine biologist talk about salt treatment for Ich and recommended a dose for up to two weeks in this certain case.
I just think there are other better treatments

·
Super Moderator
15,777 Posts
Fun thing to remember: [M]ost, as mentioned above, does not equal all.

And many species truly can't handle extended salt. That's why @Tank seeker and others suggest there may be better treatment options.

But while we're on the topic of Ich and Angelfish: Most people treat with heat and have success.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fun thing to remember: [M]ost, as mentioned above, does not equal all.

And many species truly can't handle extended salt. That's why @Tank seeker and others suggest there may be better treatment options.

But while we're on the topic of Ich and Angelfish: Most people treat with heat and have success.
Corys are a good example

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never said this was for Ich. It was mentioned above as being assumed. I am aware of treating Ich with heat, as with heat and aquarium salt, as with a medication like Ich x. (Btw, none of this discussion addresses my original question). Salt can and is used by millions of hobbyists to treat a multitude of illnesses in "some" fish exactly like I said before. But when treating any fish for anything you better make sure to read the label and do your homework.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I never said this was for Ich. It was mentioned above as being assumed. I am aware of treating Ich with heat, as with heat and aquarium salt, as with a medication like Ich x. (Btw, none of this discussion addresses my original question). Salt can and is used by millions of hobbyists to treat a multitude of illnesses in "some" fish exactly like I said before. But when treating any fish for anything you better make sure to read the label and do your homework.
You just contradicted yourself salt cannot be used period it’s just too risky actually medication is considerably safer

·
Registered
645 Posts
Corys are a good example
Cardinal tetra, rummynose tetra, and apistos are other examples that originate from black water and won’t tolerate salt. Many of them are wild caught too so there is no cultural acclimation to salty water.

For prophylactic, there are more effective commercial products than salt such as methylene blue or Paraguard.

·
Premium Member
1,978 Posts
I'm really surprised at the lack of love for salt! It can be useful for quite a range of treatments and as a prophylactic. It's cheap, safe and widely available at 3am on Sunday. Yes, there are species that are sensitive to it. That's the case with most medications. Yes, you can have serious overdose issues. That's the case with most medications. Virtually all fish will tolerate salt to some level. University of North Carolina did a controlled study with salt and Corydoras aeneus in 1995. They did the study because it was being published that corys couldn't take low salt concentrations. They found that they could. I read another article that said salt is the most commonly used drug in the aquaculture industry. It's so widely used it's referred to as "the aspirin of aquaculture". I think it's still being used widely in the koi pond world also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm really surprised at the lack of love for salt! It can be useful for quite a range of treatments and as a prophylactic. It's cheap, safe and widely available at 3am on Sunday. Yes, there are species that are sensitive to it. That's the case with most medications. Yes, you can have serious overdose issues. That's the case with most medications. Virtually all fish will tolerate salt to some level. University of North Carolina did a controlled study with salt and Corydoras aeneus in 1995. They did the study because it was being published that corys couldn't take low salt concentrations. They found that they could. I read another article that said salt is the most commonly used drug in the aquaculture industry. It's so widely used it's referred to as "the aspirin of aquaculture". I think it's still being used widely in the koi pond world also.
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cardinal tetra, rummynose tetra, and apistos are other examples that originate from black water and won’t tolerate salt. Many of them are wild caught too so there is no cultural acclimation to salty water.

For prophylactic, there are more effective commercial products than salt such as methylene blue or Paraguard.
Depending on
you just mentioned reasons why I don’t use salt ,but it’s fine we all have different approaches

·
Super Moderator
15,777 Posts
Corys are a good example
That's a debunked myth. Corydoras can handle salt. Like most freshwater fish, they can't take extremely high concentrations of salt for weeks on end. But salt is absolutely an effective treatment.

Virtually all fish will tolerate salt to some level. University of North Carolina did a controlled study with salt and Corydoras aeneus in 1995. They did the study because it was being published that corys couldn't take low salt concentrations. They found that they could.
Yep. And even those sensitive species can handle dips. Most inverts, too.

The Corydoras myth always fascinated me. Mostly because I've never had Cories have an issue with salt dips. Also because I've never seen it be an issue with anyone else... and because it was long ago debunked, as you mention. Some people just love spreading disinformation/misinformation because it's something they heard umpteen years ago that merely sounded authoritative to them with no basis in reality. Or they refuse to adapt to ever evolving science in the hobby.

·
Registered
645 Posts
That's a debunked myth. Corydoras can handle salt. Like most freshwater fish, they can't take extremely high concentrations of salt for weeks on end. But salt is absolutely an effective treatment.

Yep. And even those sensitive species can handle dips. Most inverts, too.

The Corydoras myth always fascinated me. Mostly because I've never had Cories have an issue with salt dips. Also because I've never seen it be an issue with anyone else... and because it was long ago debunked, as you mention. Some people just love spreading disinformation/misinformation because it's something they heard umpteen years ago that merely sounded authoritative to them with no basis in reality. Or they refuse to adapt to ever evolving science in the hobby.
You cannot generalize. There are hundreds species of Cory from soft, softer to softest water with nearly zero conductivity. The common Cory that have been domesticated for decades are likely hardy and can tolerate some salt, not so with less common Cory.

·
Super Moderator
15,777 Posts
You cannot generalize. There are hundreds species of Cory from soft, softer to softest water with nearly zero conductivity. The common Cory that have been domesticated for decades are likely hardy and can tolerate some salt, not so with less common Cory.
Yeah, we absolutely can generalize all we want. Because this is a discussion forum on the internet. The largest discussion forum about planted tanks, in fact. It's welcoming and we require that our membership be pleasant toward others. We're literally here sharing our experiences.

Many of us speak from direct experience and, say, decades of reading millions of posts about this very thing from hundreds of thousands of people. In general (see what I'm doing here? generalizing), most - not all - but MOST fish in this hobby can tolerate a salt dip. If you want to parse language, let's do that. Go back through every comment I've made in this thread. Check that there are clarifiers and exceptions literally written in by me and repeated here. Most ≠ all.

Good grief. Quit nitpicking and acting like this is the end of the world. Stop insulting people. I'm not going to clean up your posts again and I will start issuing more infractions if people can't calm down. One of you has been suspended and there will be more if it doesn't end.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts