The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I’m a longtime salt water enthusiast making a switch to fresh (trying my first planted tank and aquascape). Looking for tips ideas and advice most of all.

75 Gallon with a sump ... still figuring out sump. Just finished leak testing.

What I’m most curious about right now is CO2 set ups and ideas/ options. I plan on running CO2.

I also plan on running AI Hydras for lighting (reusing previous lights) and

Lastly I’m curious if I should be using RO Water .... I can but just unsure what’s best for freshwater.

Thanks all !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
looks like a great start!

I have a similarly-sized tank with a sump... I think it takes a bit more work to get good co2 levels with a sump, but once you get it dialed in, I prefer it to a canister because you can hit a high co2 level and hold it there all day more easily due to the relatively much higher off-gassing.

I have... many thoughts on this topic, having struggled with / refined my co2 setup in my sump'd tank. Happy to share if you like.

What does your tap water look like? kh, gh, ph, etc?

Also, this board moves pretty slowly, and there's not much action in the journals aside from some longstanding ones started by long-term members. I don't think it's a reason to not start or maintain one (I've got a couple recently started myself), but know it might take a bit for any responses. but I just subscribed to this one, for what it's worth!

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I agree the decision on whether to use tap water or RO will depend on what your tap water parameters are like and to a lesser extent what you plan to keep. If your tap water has high ph, but you want to keep discus then you will pretty much need to use RO water. If your tap water is a bit high but you want to keep a bunch of cichlids then you are probably better off going with tap water. If your GH is 20 or something crazy then you will want to use RO water for plant health.

Anyway you will almost certainly want to build a co2 reactor for your tank. There are many models out but the most popular ones are either Rex Griggs or Cerges. Google both designs and decide which one you prefer, both work extremely well. You will also want a 10 lb co2 cylinder (assuming you are in the states). You will want to find out where you will be filling your tank before buying one as some places only do tank swaps and you don't want to buy a nice shiny new tank only to swap it for a beat up tank. And finally you will need a dual stage regulator. The best ones are 'diy' where you buy a used 2 stage regulator off of e b a y and then stick post body parts on it to make it work with co2. The next best is to buy one from some place like co2art (decent 'cheap' option) or GLA (more expensive option).

Hopefully this is helpful, good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Sorry been mia for a touch.
Making progress. Got my CO2 Tank and my CO2 art regulator.
Bought a few more filters and such. Now got some test kits so will take some tests and post results for guidance.

I have an RO unit from my last salt water set up so thinking I might as well set it up even if it’s to do a mix of RO and tap. Even for my top up. I set up a ATO from my salt water equipment as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree the decision on whether to use tap water or RO will depend on what your tap water parameters are like and to a lesser extent what you plan to keep. If your tap water has high ph, but you want to keep discus then you will pretty much need to use RO water. If your tap water is a bit high but you want to keep a bunch of cichlids then you are probably better off going with tap water. If your GH is 20 or something crazy then you will want to use RO water for plant health.

Anyway you will almost certainly want to build a co2 reactor for your tank. There are many models out but the most popular ones are either Rex Griggs or Cerges. Google both designs and decide which one you prefer, both work extremely well. You will also want a 10 lb co2 cylinder (assuming you are in the states). You will want to find out where you will be filling your tank before buying one as some places only do tank swaps and you don't want to buy a nice shiny new tank only to swap it for a beat up tank. And finally you will need a dual stage regulator. The best ones are 'diy' where you buy a used 2 stage regulator off of e b a y and then stick post body parts on it to make it work with co2. The next best is to buy one from some place like co2art (decent 'cheap' option) or GLA (more expensive option).

Hopefully this is helpful, good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I’ll post some pics. Got a set from CO2 Art ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just came across your thread/journal. Nice build! I wish mine was rimless
Your setup is very similar to mine....in many aspects, same 75g + sump, same color scheme, RO-DI water and the same Brute trash can! ha ha

Are you going to drill your DT for an overflow?

PS: You may want to take a look at my CO2 setup....since you have a sump like me...there is really no need for a reactor...check out what I did in my sump for CO2 injection :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just came across your thread/journal. Nice build! I wish mine was rimless
Your setup is very similar to mine....in many aspects, same 75g + sump, same color scheme, RO-DI water and the same Brute trash can! ha ha

Are you going to drill your DT for an overflow?

PS: You may want to take a look at my CO2 setup....since you have a sump like me...there is really no need for a reactor...check out what I did in my sump for CO2 injection :)
Hi. Thanks for posting !!
Nice to see we have a similar set up. I’m going to cruise your posts and see your build.

I bought this tank used and it already came drilled but not ideal with two holes. I’ve done a few things to silence it and also ensure some measure of safety if it backs up.

Re the CO2 and sump I’m gonna check that out and see if I can simplify !

Lately I’ve been research flow in the tank. Coming from a reef system couldn’t have enough flow whereas with this aquascaping and plant set up I’ve realized too much is a problem. Now gotta find some balance !

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looking nice man!
Somehow, to me, your tank looks bigger than mine........even when they are the same size. Maybe it is the rimless design making it look bigger. I love rimless tanks.

Tell me more about the holes in your tank.........I cannot tell looking at the photos.......looks like you may have an overflow on the right side. The return is over the tank on the left, correct? No hole for that?

I hate my box type overflow. Takes up too much space. Also has no space to redesign it to into a three hole Bean animal style.
One thing to consider, while thinking about the need for third, emergency standpipe......if we keep the volume of the the return pump chamber small enough so the DT can accommodate it without overflowing....just in case the drain clogs up....."then" there is no need for that third emergency standpipe. I know that even that tought is scary, but math is math ;-)

Here is a dude describing that point in a video:

Long video, but at 1:55 you can hear him explaining the concept I mentioned above.

I calculated that volume into my sump's design. A whole thread about my sump design is here with the specific calculations in this post:

That reminds me.........I gotta test that scenario some day (soon)!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.