The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have some sick discus in a heavily planted tank. IS there any way i can add salt to a planted tank (swords/crypts) and not dammage the plants?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Salt and Aquatic Plants

Hello, I have some sick discus in a heavily planted tank. IS there any way i can add salt to a planted tank (swords/crypts) and not dammage the plants?
Hello red...

You can treat your fish and not risk damaging your plants if you keep the salt dose below 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons of new water. I use the bucket method to change my tank water, so it's easy to dose the salt and the water treatment as the bucket fills.

Heat can also damage plants, so it's best to keep the water temp a bit lower too. 80 to 82 degrees will be warm enough to treat your fish.

B

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay sounds god thanks guys. Ill add a teaspoon per gallon into the tank first with some water. How often do i need to do this?

·
Registered
754 Posts
What kind of sickness does the Discus have?

I would only put more salt if you are doing a water change. Otherwise the salt shouldn't precipate. Too much salt will have adverse affect on them since the salt is from evaporated sea water.

Of course, I would worry more about the fish since the plants are more resilient.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts