The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Told some folks I would post pics of my coho salmon tank. Nothin special as I usually raise so many fish in the tank that hardscape just gets in the way. I keep the tank at 44 degrees so plants are a non option, not to mention the eggs and young aelvin are very sensitive to UV lights. I cannot even put a small basic light fixture on the tank until they become fry. I had a catastrophic die off this year and lost 100% of my eggs due to some outgasing of some kind. So I am picking up some aelvin from a friend this coming week. I'll keep ya posted!

JD

·
Registered
361 Posts
how big is this tank? also, do you raise these fish for eating? pretty cool idea regardless, but I think raising fish for food is a cool concept. do you have any pics of the fish in the tank?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
how big is this tank? also, do you raise these fish for eating? pretty cool idea regardless, but I think raising fish for food is a cool concept. do you have any pics of the fish in the tank?

+1 What size?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the tank is a 29 gal standard glass aquarium.

I am a teacher and work in the summer as a professional fishing guide. The department of Fish and Game has hatchery programs to support natural fisheries in order to augment the fishing pressure witnessed durning tourist season. I raise the salmon into fry and then into smolt before releasing them into local lakes and streams. They boost the native biomass and help support everything from mink to eagles to fishermen. In turn, they give me an exceptional teaching tool for kids to learn about local ecosystems, life cycles, habitat preservation, and conservation.

I will post some pics of the aelvin (newly hatched salmon with attached yolk sacs) when I get them in the tank next week. They are very sensitive to any contaminants and I lost an entire batch this fall. although it was a great learning lesson for teacher and student alike, it was quite a set back nonetheless.

There is no shortage of wild caught salmon for me and my family to eat, so no need to raise these guys for food purposes:icon_lol:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's pretty awesome. I had a Cut Throat Trout tank for a long time, they are really fun to watch!
thanks man. I never got the new aelvin last year so the thread died. I have my new fertilized eggs in the tank now with only one or two deaths. Keeping my fingers crossed. will get pics of the eggs tomorrow

A cutty in a tank must have been so awesome, trout are my favorite things with fins!

best fishes

JD

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
eggs are growing and developing now at 1.5 months after fertilization.

"eye spots" developing in 100% of live eggs. Some eggs have both eye spots already in full development.

Still only 1 mortality........out of 250 eggs!!!!:smile:

I just did a quick WC............4.5 gallons out of 20 gal tank. I had a student prep the bucket and set it outside for the temp to drop down to 43...........not a problem up here right now. I forgot to ask him if he primed the water to rid it of chlorine. I quick ran back and poured it in and am now home and wondering if I just killed all my eggs!

Do you think 30% WC with unprimed water just did me in (assumming he forgot to treat the water). The water sat for a few hours outside although I doubt that would enough time for outgassing of the CO2..........AHHHHHHHHHHHH

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.