The Planted Tank Forum banner

Salifert Test Kits

191 3
I purchased some Salifert test kits, Phosphate, Potassium, and Calcium. And I just wanted see if others have used these specific tests on freshwater sucessfully? Any tips or tricks?

Phosphate kit: .25ppm

I am was suprised to see how low this was. I will dose more of that.

Calcium:

I could not find anything that says this is specifically for saltwater or that it is possible to use with freshwater, so I gambled. The instructions are definatley geared towards salwater.

Has anyone used this test kit with success? I had to alter the step by step instuctions a tiny bit to get it to work. I will explain the best I can. In step 4 it instructs you to add a portion of the reagent, swirl, then continue to add the same reagent dropwise until the color turns. What I did was skip the first paragraph of step 4 and start adding drops until the color changed.

I got consistent result of 50-60ppm

(Note that this is the "New" version that only has two components as opposed to three.)
Font Parallel Paper Document Screenshot

Potassium:
Took a gamble on this one too, They were on sale. I get a consistent result of 210ppm. Seems to be high.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
344 Posts
I purchased some Salifert test kits, Phosphate, Potassium, and Calcium. And I just wanted see if others have used these specific tests on freshwater sucessfully? Any tips or tricks?
I have the Salifert nitrate, phosphate, and potassium test kits....the only tip I have is with the phosphate test kit....the test kit measures up to 3ppm and if you think your P is higher (like mine) then dilute your sample water at 5:1 with RO or distilled water and then multiply the results by 5

· Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does salifert calcium work for freshwater? I used to love salifert tests on my reef and am looking for a decent calcium test.
I am not sure how it works and I have nothing to compare it to. I may have to have my LFS test so that I can compare. I am already in love with the test vials and color charts that came with the Nitrate and Phosphate test kit I got as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts