The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with these tests?

Looking to buy Phosphate, Nitrate and Potassium(everywhere out of stock). I do have the API for Nitrates but I have seen people talking about this brand being one of the best? I do not find reviews anywhere on the internet.

What other brands you use that you can recommend for the ones mentioned above?

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Hi.
I like their nitrate better than api or nutrafin hagen. Only 3 minutes to set the color. Also you do not have to close and shake so you have no spills around. The vial is wide and you swirl it. Color is distinguished looking from above and it is pretty easy to spot. However it is 0,1,2,4, 10,20,40 (ppm) but the colors differ quite a lot.
I did not try Phosphate. Nutrafin works for me I usually do not check it as often as NO3.
I bought Potassium (K) off of ebay and it is a good kit. Pretty easy to determine color change but it has 3 reagents. Takes 10-15 minutes. Not an everyday test for me as well. More like a one time to make sure you are not at zero with your ferts mixture or not too high.
I do pps pro via pump and if nitrates are good and the proportions are not messed up, one easy test for macros seems sufficient for me.

The one test you do not show that I use quite often is Salifert CO2. That one is basically a “drop checker solution based” that will tell you PPM exactly with 5ppm accuracy (color changes once when corresponding number of drops is added). I use PH probe to control the solenoid but my water has something else in carbonate hardness to mess the KH/PH/CO2 relation so without the test fish and drop checker were the only indications. Not very accurate. 😂 with the kit I can set the target ph safer.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi.
I like their nitrate better than api or nutrafin hagen. Only 3 minutes to set the color. Also you do not have to close and shake so you have no spills around. The vial is wide and you swirl it. Color is distinguished looking from above and it is pretty easy to spot. However it is 0,1,2,4, 10,20,40 (ppm) but the colors differ quite a lot.
I did not try Phosphate. Nutrafin works for me I usually do not check it as often as NO3.
I bought Potassium (K) off of ebay and it is a good kit. Pretty easy to determine color change but it has 3 reagents. Takes 10-15 minutes. Not an everyday test for me as well. More like a one time to make sure you are not at zero with your ferts mixture or not too high.
I do pps pro via pump and if nitrates are good and the proportions are not messed up, one easy test for macros seems sufficient for me.

The one test you do not show that I use quite often is Salifert CO2. That one is basically a “drop checker solution based” that will tell you PPM exactly with 5ppm accuracy (color changes once when corresponding number of drops is added). I use PH probe to control the solenoid but my water has something else in carbonate hardness to mess the KH/PH/CO2 relation so without the test fish and drop checker were the only indications. Not very accurate. 😂 with the kit I can set the target ph safer.
Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for replying. You commented about the CO2 that I was thinking in getting also, thanks!!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I've used their nitrate test as well as api nitrate - the pro of their nitrate test is that it is more sensitive so you can read nitrate level down to 1 (try that with api); the negative is their colour matching is worse than api so it is still just as hard to tell the actual nitrate level ;)
-
I think their phosphate kit is saltwater only - at least the one i found when i was looking for a phosphate test kit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.