The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So I've decided to get back into planted tanks! I took a few years off the hobby while in college. Anyway, I'm setting up a 75g and just bought some sakrete multi purpose sand due to its price (and I like the color more than pfs or play sand). I've read some contrasting posts on whether or not it's safe. Does anyone here have any experience with it? It contains crystalline silica.

This is my first time using a sand substrate in a planted tank. I'm excited!

Andrew

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I've had in in my 40 (see link in sig line) for I think 5 mos. as a Cap over MTS.

I had Black Diamond blasting grit but it was to dark. Initially, I liked it, after a month the fine sand settled and I have small gravel. To get a better look, I syphoned off most of it in the front leaving a few patches of the sakcrette. I used play sand to replace it.

I like the current mix better. The low spots have more light gravel, higher spots fine sand. Which is what you would see in a stream. For what I want my "scape to look like it's a good mix.

As far as the All Purpose Sand, I didn't feel it was excessively dirty when I rinsed it prior to use.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.