The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair of sailfin mollies and acclimated them to my tank by the airline drip method. The male is doing fine but the female just stays at the top of the tank and doesnt really swim that much. She doesnt have any labor breathing and every so often she will "nibble" at the surface. Is there anything I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok...so you think that they are still adjusting?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thanks for the help......yeah.. anyways she is fine now..

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
One thing that I have found dealing with my feeder fish is that with the C02 difference and the pH difference--the Drip-Method doesn't work very well for me. Seems that the Drip-Method degases a lot of the C02 in the acclimation container and then the pH rises. So, when the fish are put into the planted tank---there's a large difference in pH and the amount of C02. Seems to cause lots of stress and even death.

I've gone to my own variation of the old-fashioned pet store method.

Just some thoughts....

HTH

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so what method is the old-fashion pet store method?

BTW I acclimated these fish to a non co2 tank. I have used the drip method on my co2 tank and have gotten great results everytime. I only do it for about an hour and I make sure that the airline is down at the bottom of the container to prevent co2 escaping. One time I did just put the bag on top of the water for 15 mins and put fish in and almost suffocated the fish so im not doing that.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
What I was referring to was the basic "float the bag, then add 50% tank water", etc, etc, etc.

These days I have found the best luck with my feeder fish by following a similar concept. Let's assume that I am taking them from the holding tank and putting them into the aquarium to eventually be eaten, and that I'm doing it with 2 dozen minnows:

I just start out with 1g of their water in a 5g bucket and then add 1/2g of the future tank water every 10-15mins. I repeat this until the 5g is full. Empty out all but about 1/2-1g and do it over. After that they are Good to Go. They still stress, but I have learned that by shutting off the C02 for a few hrs and aerating the future tank--they stress much, much less.

Holding tank specs: Gh 18, Kh14, pH ~8.0+, TDS oftentimes 500, Temps this winter 63-65F

Main Tanks: Gh2.5, Kh1, pH ~6.0, TDS -200, Temp ~85F

As You can see there are drastic differences in the tank/water specs. The Main Tanks are 100% RO and the Holding tank is currently Tap.
Main Tank-Heated. Holding Tank-Unheated.

When I have used the drip-method I found that the Temp would never rise up to the tank (even in a different setup where temps were 82-83F) and the fish always severely stressed from the C02 or pH difference. Since I have started using this "Method" and turning off the C02 and aerating--the difference is completely noticeable.

I am not really trying to suggest anything here. I am just really trying to share my experiences and what I have learned over the last couple of years dealing with literally thousands of fish. The method that I use now works best for me in my situation--including the particular fish that I deal with. There may be some food for thought here for others. :proud:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that sounds like a good method....I will try that when transporting my new fish to my planted tank. thanks!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
btw...how do you measure your gallons when doing this method?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Hi Rach,

As stated above--I use a 5g bucket, but that's because its just the most readily available and versatile container that I have. I would guess that with smaller numbers of fish something like a 1g pitcher could be used--just keeping the water ratios about the same--1:1/2--so to speak. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, I have a pitcher that is about 80oz completely full, so a Good "Dip" into the sump gives me right about 1/2g. It doesn't have to be prefect, But I've done 1:1, etc, and find that the initial 1 followed by adding half quantities of future tank water works out pretty good for me. The 10 minutes in between works Good, but I think 15 minutes is better--just depends on how much time you have available. I use a countdown timer to keep up with it.

Just please turn off any C02 and Aerate the tank while You're doing this in preparation for the fish. Also, I aerate the "Acclimation Container" while going through this process.

I hope this makes sense. Feel free to Ask any questions! :proud:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.