The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my 20 gallon low-budger student special is coming along nicely.

Today, I was able to replace the stock plastic hood with a cut piece of glass and some modificatins to put wood trim around the glass.

Anyways, I also built a stand to suspend to clamp lights, the kind from the hardware store, over the glass about 3 inches. The clamps are horizontal and clamp to a piece of the stand just behind the tank.

My main concern is, something 1 in a million happens and the lamps loose all grip and come crashing down through the glass and into the water.

Is there any type of a power plug, outlet, adapter or anything that I can plug the lights into before plugging into the wall socket so that if the lamps would fall into the water, either a fuse or something would prevent a catastrophe from happening???

·
Registered
487 Posts
Is there any type of a power plug, outlet, adapter or anything that I can plug the lights into before plugging into the wall socket so that if the lamps would fall into the water, either a fuse or something would prevent a catastrophe from happening???
I am also wondering this as Im going to do a DIY light for my 125g. And Im planning on hanging the light from the ceiling. And I don't know if I should as we are also putting the ceiling up. So there's two things I could mess up :icon_eek:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I don't know the names of the items, but I know they have been discused on here before. You may be able to find some good info by doing a google search for 'breaker electrical'.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
well most power strips will have surge protection and prevent an excess of electrical buildup above their rating, however i think what you are looking for is something like a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter), which is something that you would install in your bathroom or your kitchen near running water.

However, this is not a DIY electrical project unless you know what you are doing.

BTW...they are the outlets with the "test" and "reset" buttons on them if you know what I am talking about...most older homes do not have these, but all new homes do.

UPDATE: i apologize, you can buy power strips equipped with GFCI protection...

http://www.labsafety.com/store/Faci...trical/GFCI_Cords/1184/28224/?isredirect=true

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
I would also use things like chains instead of those stupid cable hangers. I used to use the little cable hangers until I was moving one of my MH pendent lights and the dippy little clasp that held the ends of the wire together decided to let go sending my 175w MH light into my 120gal tank. Me in all my genius quickly reached into the tank and pulled out the light, which was still on. Luckily I didnt kill myself and the light was protected by a class UV cover so it didn't destroy either the bulb or the fixture. So the moral is if you are using the cable hangers make sure you can attach them well (I now use chain).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.