The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's generally considered a "safe" shift in temperature for most fish and shrimps.

I.e. I have 2 tanks side by side, one is running at 75F, and another one is running at 78, how safe is it to take a fish or shrimp from one tank, and dump it into another tank. (which = 3 degree F shift)

Is 3 degree F shift too much?
What about 2'F? or 1'F? or 4'F....etc etc

*I know this depends on the species of fish. I just want to get a general idea here. I.e. maybe for a tetra or cherry shrimp.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I have done this with no problem, and I have made water changes using cold tap water, with no problem. The fish love the inflowing cold water, for some reason. If I had to guess I would guess that a 10F change would be too much, and a 5F change would be no problem, but those are guesses.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
There's tons of variables to take into consideration (species, age, overall health) but personally I avoid changes of more than a degree if possible.

Adding cooler or warmer water to an established tank will overall have much less impact on livestock than taking them from one temperature and plunking them into another...

I'm one of those very "temperature-sensitive" people who inside freezes at 75F, am happy as a clam at 77F and am dying of heat at 80F... so I can sympathize with tiny little fish!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts