The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Staghorn take the control over my tank...
I want to use Hydrogen Peroxide as a spot traintment (via syringe).

What is the safe dose (I have the snails and shrimps) in 29g tank.

I can use Excel too, but it can melt my Val. Or if I'll use something like 0.5ml is OK?

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I followed the instructions in this threadhttp://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203684&highlight=killing+bba , but at half the dosage per gallon. Most of my shrimp survived. Out of 15, two died the next day. But I've had shrimp kick it after a normal water change so who's to say it wasn't the water change that got them.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have staghorn in a lowtech tank and granted I only dosed HP once it literally did nothing. I've used HP on BBA in another tank which works great. Will HP have the same affect on staghorn? -I should have tried another dose the next day or two, I may go back and do that as its getting kinda bad and spreading to my substrate and dwarf hairgrass.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The instructions in this thread I listed above are very detailed. I did not spot treat or remove any of my live stock. I just removed my filter media and placed it into a container of untreated tank water. Left the filter running (media removed) installed a power head and dumped the peroxide right into the flow of the power head. I let the water circulate for 15 minutes then executed a 50% water change. After the change I re installed the filter media and did the Excell dose. Ottocats, neon tetras and shrimp seemed fine during and after the treatment. I did have two dead shrimp the next day however. The treatment killed ALL BBA and stag horn in my tank which has not returned. There was a slight ammonia spike and a bad smell that came off my tank the next day, so I did another water change, which is when I noticed the two fatalities. It was Ghost shrimp that kicked it :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.