The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together an algae cleaning crew and I read on the internet to avoid Siamese algae eaters as they become aggressive as they mature. In addition my reading informed me that they will begin to eat plant as well. Is this true or something that happened to this particular aquarist. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help in advance?
Chris

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
From my experience they only ate hair/fuz algae when they were young. Once they are adult they just eat the fish food. They also become bullies too. I had to get rid of mine as they would bug my angels.

Bump: Only algae eaters worth a dang are shrimp imo

·
Registered
475 Posts
Darn, I hope my pair don't become too aggressive, but maybe it won't be an issue as I plan to convert my tank to semi-aggressive in the near future (moving my tetras from my 50g to a 20L to help control the #s of guppy fry in the smaller tank).

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a trio in my 75g that are still very young and hopefully will harass each other when adult and leave my Angels alone! I will say I was experiencing some hair algae and a little more brown algae than my o cats where keeping up with. Within a week of adding the trio ALL the algae is gone. I was only running lights for 7 hours on LEDS and 4 hours on Metal Halide, now I am able to start increasing my light duration! They are definitely making tank maintenance easier for me. If they become aggressive or lazy as they get older, out they go and I will add another trio of juveniles back in. I guess the best direction if you decide to add them would be to get the smallest ones possible, that's what I did.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
SAEs do not get aggressive (that would be CAEs that do) even when they get older. But they do prefer fish food over algae as they mature. Additionally they should be kept in groups of at least 3 so you need a tank of at least 55 gal to keep a group of them. Mine grew to over 6 inches.

Reactions: dhenry7711

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have two in a 45G tank and 5 in a 220G tank. Have had them over a year. Had a serious hair algae problem, they took care of all of it except on blades of val floating right on the surface, would not go up that high for it.

The tank is still clean, so they seem to be doing their job. They do not eat pellets, though they will go after flakes and cucumbers (which I feed plecos), and algae pellets.

They are not aggressive at all for adult fish, though I think they would eat fly (they go over and grab at most things loose in the water).

They are fun to watch, very fast. They also will jump out of holding tanks (I lost 3 when I first got them while drip acclimating them - they jumped out about 6" over the rim of the shallow bucket. They have never tried jumping out of either aquarium (about a quarter to third of each is open).

I think people with aggressive ones may be getting flying fox or Chinese variants. They are frequently mislabeled in stores - in fact I got mine labeled "Flying Fox" but they are not.

So to your question: SAE: Yes. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got three young SAE because of heavy algae issue and they helped alot. The three chase each other and don't bother my fish. But they are young, not full sized yet. I have them in my 40g breeder tank, which might be a little small for them. I'll just have to wait and see how they react with my other fish when they get older.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just keep in mind just how large these fish get. Like seriously big. They are great when young, they destroyed the black beard algae in my tank which was awesome, but in less than 6 months they also quadrupled in size and became way too big for the size tank they were in. I ended up donating them to the LFS.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
They do eat aggressively as they get older. That's why I sold mine. My angels and rams couldn't get to enough food
I find that pellets help, the 1mm pellets work fine for all my fish (angels, rainbows, barbs) but the SAE's cannot seem to get them in their mouth - they will chase and suck on them a bit but then leave them alone.

Flakes and frozen foods they will certainly eat.

But even with flakes, all my fish seem to compete quite well with them.

Mine are over a hear old (and were fairly large when bought), so I assume they are adults.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
I have 3 true SAEs in my 90g tank. They're around 7-8 years old now. They are absolutely wonderful fish!

They are not at all aggressive. They are great buddies with the roseline sharks and zebra loaches, all of which are around the same age. The roseline sharks and SAEs often swim together as if they're all one school together (I've often wondered if they know they're not the same specifies). The SAEs are about the same size as the roseline sharks to give some scale.

I have some younger SAEs in some of my other tanks, and they're just as well behaved. One tank has a lone female pelvicachromis that likes to hang out with the SAEs. The SAEs welcome her as if she was one of them.

Although it is true that the SAEs enjoy eating fish food, I find that mine are constantly searching every nook and cranny for algae, doing their cute little wiggle as they go. When I neglect the tank and allow algae to accumulate on the glass, they are constantly on the glass with their wiggly little selves. So they do eat algae even when mature. In my experience, they eat both fish food and algae when mature.

SAEs are actually one of my favorite fish. They are lively without being nervous or aggressive. They get along well with any and all fish/shrimp I've put in the tank, forming close relationships with some of the fish.

I have never once seen any of my SAEs aggressively chase any fish ever and they most certainly have never attempted to nip at any fish. They are actually quite gentle and friendly.

Just make sure you get the right fish. The impostors aren't anywhere near as nice and not recommended. The links given by others are similar to what I used to ensure I got the right fish.

Reactions: WaterLife
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.