The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know "gender" is not the right term, but I want to keep it clean.

I have 5 SAEs. I got them when they were juveniles. They adjusted very quickly to my tank and are very healthy and active. They even eat some algae. Three of them have grown rather more than the other two.

I read elsewhere that the females are likely to be fuller bodied, but the difference is a little more than "likely to be fuller bodied" would suggest to me. I'm estimating, but the smaller ones are about a half inch shorter than the bigger ones which are a bit over two inches. Do you know if this is... ahem... "gender" dimorphism, or are the two smaller ones malnourished?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I dont know the answer but i also bought 5 at the same size at the same time and 1 of them is at least 2" shorter and still hasnt grown.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Sex is ok... Nothing wrong with the word when used in the right context.

There's none that I can think of except maybe the females are deeper & fuller in body.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
They can get a lot bigger. Like 3.5 inches long at least. That's when I traded in my three pigs to the LFS.

·
Banned
582 Posts
3.5 inches? I've seen a full grown one at at least 6 inches and husky! The other one was about 5.5 inches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts