The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a SAE. I know you're going to say that I didn't get a "true" SAE but I assure you, I have spent a lot of time trying to prove that it is some other similar type of fish and all conclusions have been it is a true to life Crossocheilus siamensis.

He's typically peaceful and spends all of his time cleaning up my tank. As soon as it's feeding time, he turns aggressive and attacks my Corydoras catfish. It doesn't matter if the Cory's are motionless inside of their cave or active about the tank, as soon as those little flakes hit the water he begins his assault. When the food is gone he goes back to peaceful and resumes his tank cleaning duties. He leaves the rest of my fish alone but I think that's just due to them not being on the bottom. Also, when there is no food in the tank, he can mill about amongst the Cory's without showing any aggression. In fact, the Cory's do not mind being near him.

This did not start from the get go. I recently pulled everything out and changed the substrate to prepare converting into a planted tank. He started doing this about two weeks after I got him and swapped the substrate 2 or 3 weeks after that.

So any ideas of what may be going on?

·
Registered
743 Posts
i dunno ..but i got 5 of them .iam sure they;re real SAE .they do get a lil aggressive again each other but never show with other fish , most of the time they swimming together and eat algea ,

·
Registered
50 Posts
From my experience, I really think they like to be in groups.

For example, I have five of them. The two biggest (> 2.5 years old) were in the 58 gallon and the three smaller (< 1 year old) were in the 120. Initially, one of the three in the 120 was always harassing the other two - wouldn't let them eat, etc.

When I took down the 58 and put all of them in the 120, the aggressive behavior ceased. They are all now best buds and swim around and interact together. The smallest one is allowed to eat peas (their favorite food) in turn without being harassed.

I've not been in this hobby long, but I get the impression from reading about it that this is not a new discovery - aggression is generally diffused/blunted when fish are in groups.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
this whole Crossocheilus group of fish can get territorial. Maybe more SAEs and a bigger tank when you have the money.

·
Registered
143 Posts
SAEs are just kind of strange fish. Ive had mine display wide arrays of behavior, from all of them pestering the one, to them taking turns getting stuck on the sides of the intake on my Koralia powerhead for a few minutes before they find something more interesting to do. I have determined SAEs just sing to their own tune. Unless there is a real mauling going on, I wouldnt worry about it. Another thing is feed a couple different kinds of food, like throw in some flakes and an algae wafer at the same time. My SAEs dig the algae wafers more than the flakes the other fish eat.

----

So after I had just posted this I caught em doing it again.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I have two true SAE's and they are so close to each other that I believe they must be male and female. They are together almost always. They even appear to "groom" each other from time to time. The are the same age, one has matured to be a little bigger than the other one. When it is feeding time, initially the bigger one will frantically chase the other one away from the front of the tank where the food is. After a bit of time that stops. I have 2 different types of cories in there, plecos and ember tetras and he has never chased away anyone else. It looks like nasty behavior when ou first see it, but for mine, it's really all chase till he gets some food in his belly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't think I'll get them again after these go to the great aquarium in the sky (hm - anybody know how long they live?).

In the mean time, here's a picture of my buds in the current from the power head.

DSCN1106.jpg

·
Registered
143 Posts
They live for awhile, but if you want to get rid of them Im sure you could exchange them for credit somewhere or find a new home for them on craigslist pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I had three and re-homed them. They're very fast,aggressive feeders and larger than I want in my 55g tank.

I have assassin snails and dwarf chain loaches and they keep everything in check without disturbing the plants or my other fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts