The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I notice one of my rainbow shrimp (or whatever the hell they are) looks a bit odd and I was wondering what it is.I remember reading that if they are saddled the bright orange eggs can be seen further up and not yet as eggs underneath.I think its too far up but can someone confirm, if its not eggs developing would it be something else(getting ready to shed, sick etc).

Thanks, sorry the pics are a bit crappy but you can see how bright the bit is compared to the rest of the body.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its acting normally but I think theres 2 like that now, thats not a good sign is it?They do go from almost clear to yellow then red(like in the pic)to very dark grey/maroon(like the other one in the first pic)quite a lot but its the first time I have noticed the bright bit behind the head.I'm hoping its just a little stress cos I have messed with the tank trying to settle my cherry shrimp in.

·
Registered
780 Posts
As long as the shrimp are acting normal, don't worry too much. Just maintain clean water and otherwise suitable conditions, and they should be fine.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Could be whatever they are finding to eat? How long have you had them? If the diet changed then their insides may take on a different hue. Cool looking bugs.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I usually feed them tetra variety wafers, tetra algae wafers and squished peas(also flakes they scavenge from the fish and any algae).

Still never worked out what kind of shrimp they actually are though, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
That looks like a male to me. I could be wrong. That coloring in that location is just the color of the contents of the digestive tract, IME.

Tommy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts