The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked through RCSguy's Journal, and found pictures of his saddled shrimp. I just wanted to conferm that I will soon be a GrandMa:

If so, I have 3 of my original RCS saddled. How long until they berry? Seems like they have been this way for a few weeks (2?)...maybe not that long, but it seems.

I don't know how to sex shrimp, so I assume if this is a saddle, then I have 1 male in there? I have new juvies in there now, but these were like this before I got the new ones.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes, it's saddled. Males don't need to be present in the tank for a female to become saddled. That's a for sure female, males obviously don't get 'saddles'.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's saddled. Males don't need to be present in the tank for a female to become saddled. That's a for sure female, males obviously don't get 'saddles'.
Darn, then I may not have little ones :icon_sad: I guess I will have to wait and see...Can anyone post side by side pictures of mature male and female RCS for me? I don't know how to tell the difference yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Do you only have 3 RCS and all 3 are saddled? No, you won't have babies. No males to fertilize the females eggs.

Female RCS are normally really red in appearance.
Male RCS are a lot lighter in color and sleeker looking.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you only have 3 RCS and all 3 are saddled? No, you won't have babies. No males to fertilize the females eggs.

Female RCS are normally really red in appearance.
Male RCS are a lot lighter in color and sleeker looking.
Sorry...original 4 and 3 are saddled...can't always see all 4 originals at one time...I will go now and look for all 4.

I got 10 more little ones from actioncia, so now there is lots of movement in the tank.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are pictures of the "missing" of the original 4...

Although to me, kinda looks like a saddle also. All these are pretty dark.

This is 2 of the new ones (they are really THAT red:

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm no expert, but they all look like females to me.

My males are much less red than my females, more clear with red accents than the other way around...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got 4 in the first shipment, and 10 in a second. I think there may be a male in the 2nd shippment, but it is soooo small. I will just have to wait and see. I love these little critters! They are so interesting to watch!

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the bump...

One of my female Cherries has a green saddle...does that mean anything?

This is what the rest look like:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I thought she may be sick.
Thanks.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
What are your tank params?
I have shrimps in a nano setup. They came berried but it has been months since they had the kiddies and they're not saddling!...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts