The Planted Tank Forum banner

Saddled Cherry?

948 12
I looked through RCSguy's Journal, and found pictures of his saddled shrimp. I just wanted to conferm that I will soon be a GrandMa:

If so, I have 3 of my original RCS saddled. How long until they berry? Seems like they have been this way for a few weeks (2?)...maybe not that long, but it seems.

I don't know how to sex shrimp, so I assume if this is a saddle, then I have 1 male in there? I have new juvies in there now, but these were like this before I got the new ones.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's saddled. Males don't need to be present in the tank for a female to become saddled. That's a for sure female, males obviously don't get 'saddles'.
Darn, then I may not have little ones :icon_sad: I guess I will have to wait and see...Can anyone post side by side pictures of mature male and female RCS for me? I don't know how to tell the difference yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Do you only have 3 RCS and all 3 are saddled? No, you won't have babies. No males to fertilize the females eggs.

Female RCS are normally really red in appearance.
Male RCS are a lot lighter in color and sleeker looking.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you only have 3 RCS and all 3 are saddled? No, you won't have babies. No males to fertilize the females eggs.

Female RCS are normally really red in appearance.
Male RCS are a lot lighter in color and sleeker looking.
Sorry...original 4 and 3 are saddled...can't always see all 4 originals at one time...I will go now and look for all 4.

I got 10 more little ones from actioncia, so now there is lots of movement in the tank.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are pictures of the "missing" of the original 4...

Although to me, kinda looks like a saddle also. All these are pretty dark.

This is 2 of the new ones (they are really THAT red:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got 4 in the first shipment, and 10 in a second. I think there may be a male in the 2nd shippment, but it is soooo small. I will just have to wait and see. I love these little critters! They are so interesting to watch!

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the bump...

One of my female Cherries has a green saddle...does that mean anything?

This is what the rest look like:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.