The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 8 inch oscar for about 2 months now. In the time that I have had him I haven't seen him eat once . I've tried feeding him feeder minnows , feeder goldfish , oscar food , and i've even tried feeding him some turtle food . But nothing seems to be working . He's in a plenty big tank (60 gallons) and I just can't figure it out . (the water parameters are checked daily and haven't changed at all .

·
Registered
748 Posts
yeah he could be depressed or have an attitude LOL , have you tried a small piece of chicken or steak , ours used to beg for table scraps :)

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
lets look at this logically... what are your water parameter? Temperature? PH? Ammonia? nitrite? tank mates? how often to you try to feed him? and does the food that doesn't get eaten stay in the tank?

F

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The temperature is at 75 degrees F Its soft water (50 mg/l ) and acidic PH ( 6.3 ) He has 2 other oscars staying with him both of which are fine ( 90 gal tank ) and I feed him 6-10 ruby reds a day . The other two eat the food and he just lays there on the bottom or hides in the corner when I approach .

·
Registered
748 Posts
could be intimadated by the other 2 oscars , they dontalways like living with others

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
if the other oscars aren't going after him then that isn't the issue, I would bet anything there is an internal issue with the fish... Metro is the best way to fix this, it is known in the vet trade as FLAGYL, it is also an appetite stimulant...

F

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It isn't intimidation seeing as he is at least twice the size as the other 2 oscars and he's a male and the other 2 are females . I will give the metro medicine a shot and hopefully it'll work because he's starting to get a little skinny and it's starting to look like he's only got 2-3 weeks left .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sadly my time estimation was a little bit off and as it turns out 2-3 weeks was actually about 6-8 hours : ( . So now I guess we're gonna eat it or something . I did try that metro stuff but it seemed to have no affect on him . This was 5 hours before he died . R.I.P Rudolph Grundle Sanchez Rest in paradise

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Many plants...little time
1,634 Posts
oo first one was supposed to say 90 there >.< and just saying yes we're probally gonna eat em ( you gotta let them sit to kill disease )
Yum!
I don't really know what to say here but good luck with that.
You may want to down a little metro yourself before you take that first bite...:drool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.