The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help with my tank. I have a 9g rimless tank. I thought it was doing well, but when I rescaped a bit today, I noticed the plants are actually looking quite sad. Of note, the bioload will be increasing some, as I'm making this tank into a mystery snail breeding ground--It will house about 10-12 adults and any babies that come.

Here are the specs:

9g rimless tank
20w T8 6700k bulb, on 9 hours a day
Aquaclear 30 HOB
Dosed with 2 pumps of pfertz K about once a week
Fed a pinch or two of fish food every other day or so.

Flora
Java fern, Java moss, an occasional crypt

Fauna
Nerite snails

Do I need to dose more? change lights? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's true--It is a bad camera phone pic!

But yes--The gravel is dirty. I just moved the tank and rescaped a bit.

There is no CO2. I was just using the K occasionally because before, my plants had lots of pinholes. It seemed to fix the problem, but perhaps created another. I think for now, I'll decrease the photo period and increase the tank feeding. Hopefully that will do the trick.

·
Registered
246 Posts
okay here we go... signs of nutrient deficiency: calcium: New leaves misshapen or stunted.Existing leaves remain green. Nitrogen: Upper leaves light green.Lower leaves yello.Bottom(older leaves) yellow and shrivelled. Carbon Dioxide: White deposit.Stunted growth.Plants die back. Phosphate: Leaves darker then normal.Loss of Leeaves. Iron: Young leaves are yello/white, with green veins.Mature leaves are normal. Potassium: Yellowing at tips and edges,especially in young leaves.Daead or yellow patches or spots develop on leaves. Manganese: Yellow spots and/or elongated holes between veins. Magnesium: Lower leaves turn yellow from tipp inward. Veins remain green. whooph! lol Aquarium Plants encyclopedia.

·
Registered
71 Posts
not just...

Plants need all the nutrients to be healthy. Not just potassium and or a little nitrogen. They need a source of carbon usually in the form of CO2, nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), potassium (K), and micro nutrients. Rather than trying a little of this and a little of that, why don't you just add enough fertilizer to ensure your plants are not nutrient deficient? With the low light plants and the small aquarium you have it will not be difficult or expensive to fertilize your plants.

Hydrovac your gravel and do a 50% water change every week and it should not take too long for your plants to start looking better. You could also get a few otos and shrimp as a small cleaning crew. Good luck.

stu

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.