The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I originally wanted to introduce myself and show off my tank, but things are kinda sad for this newbie aquascapist.

I'm completely new to the hobby and was real excited to get started. I got myself a 29 gallon aquarium, a couple rocks, substrate, dwarf hairgrass, etc. I set everything up and left a couple inches in the water for a few days. Then I filled the tank and let it sit for a day, running an AquaClear 30 with the three media installed. Then I bought 3 glofish.

I know, I know. This was no way a long enough time for the tank to fully cycle. I rationalized it by thinking 3 small fish in a 29 gallon tank couldn't produce that much ammonia. Plus, I had the hairgrass sit in the inches for awhile. Should be fine. The 3 small fish will help me cycle the tank properly.

20 minutes go by and one of the fish dies. Now, I'm thinking this is no way related to cycling. I mean, 20 minutes? Still, I'm sad. I did acclimate the fish. Floated the bag. Then I added some tank water to the bag. Then a little more. Then scooped the fish out and tossed the old tank water.

Good news: the other 2 were perfectly fine. Cool. So now I wait a few days. I know glofish are schooling fish, and the one larger fish keeps bothering the smaller in my tank. Ok, I got it. I'll get 2 more. Then I'll chill on the whole fish thing for 2 weeks, let the tank cycle, and play with aquarium plants in a second tank I just picked up to keep me busy.

I acclimate these 2 the same way. Alright, feeding time! Hmm, this one fish isn't eating. Strange.... 3 days go by, still this fish hasn't eaten anything. Now he's gasping at the top. Mind you, the other three fish are happier than a catfish in muddy water. Eating, lively, taking turns chasing each other. I should note, this anorexic fish looks like the runt of the litter. Very small.

Then yesterday my friend who is a head for this type of stuff points out one of the red fish has ich. As it turns out, the pet store I bought the fish at now quarantined their entire fish stock because of an ich outbreak. So now I'm fighting that.

So, like I said, I originally just wanted to say hi. If anyone has some tips on how to save this fish, definitely give a shout out. Don't think he'll last the night though. I'm treating the ich with the heat method. Dropped my water level down to create bubbles. Hope it works. Here's a pic before the water level was dropped.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hang in....it will get better. It's rough going in the beginning, but then it smoothed out. Hope your fish get better:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll definitely keep at it. I just want to succeed with as little casualties as possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the little guy is with us no more. :icon_cry:

The other three are doing great though. I'll update on the ich sitch as it progresses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts