The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My basement flooded last week and I decided to do a serious cleanup down there. So today I took 1 large bird cage, 1 medium bird cage, a 20L hamster tank with mesh top, and a gazillion perches, dishes, toys, and bags of bedding to our local animal shelter. I've also tossed out some small 2.5g tanks and a 6.6 bookshelf tank - they are badly scratched acrylic tanks with busted lids and bad stains. Just makes me sad thinking about all the beloved pets that have come and gone.

Haha as soon as I walked in the door there to the immediate right was a cage of 3 budgies needing a home. I went right over to them and my husband ran over to stop me from taking them home instead of dropping of the bird cages. LOL I totally wanted them. They sounded so sweet and I really miss the sounds of birds in the house.

Anyhow, was a nostalgic morning for me and had me crying a little bit.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I know what you mean; I've hauled my bird cage through two moves and am about to haul it through a third, even though I haven't had birds in at least 5 years and have told myself that I'm not getting any more unless my kids want some one day. It's hard to let go.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's funny with the birds - I went thru this once before and gave everything away to a rehabber. Then about a year later a neighbor found a canary on his porch and gave him to me since I was the only person he knew that ever had birds. So I had to buy everything all over again.

The hamster wasn't really my idea. I saw a pic of one, exclaimed over how cute it was, and when I got home from work my husband had bought me one along with one of those horrid little plastic multi-colored cages. I returned that and got the 20L and mesh lid. I think small mammals need to be in much larger cages than anything I can provide, so I won't be getting another.

I do miss all them critters tho :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.