The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My heater is miles out. It's set at 22C (72F), and always sits between 27-28C (81-82F) which is top of what my fish can tolerate. I've just walked into my room and found it at 29C (84F), so I've turned the heater off and opened the lid to let it cool down. Problem is, I'm away all week and can't keep an eye on it. I've turned it down slowly since purchasing it, yet the temperature has always stayed around 27-28C.
So what d'ya guys think i should do? Put it on the lowest temperature, and sort it out with my LFS at the weekend?

·
Registered
663 Posts
You're too far away from a LFS to get a replacement heater? I wouldn't trust it - you might cook your fish. It's obviously defective. If you can get a replacement heater, that's what I'd do. Visatherm Stealth is pretty good.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're too far away from a LFS to get a replacement heater? I wouldn't trust it - you might cook your fish. It's obviously defective. If you can get a replacement heater, that's what I'd do. Visatherm Stealth is pretty good.
It's 10.30PM here in the UK! I can't get a replacement heater, I'm away from home from first thing Monday until Friday Afternoon.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would just leave the heater off till you can get a new one then. Maybe set the thermostat of the house around 78 or so for the week.
I'm not fiddling with the house stat, I don't understand it! Besides, not sure my parents will appreciate the house being set so warm.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would just leave the heater unpluged then. Better to have your fish a little cooler than to come home to them cooked.
Ok. It's unplugged. At least the light will add a bit of heat to the water through the day.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Does your heater have a light indicating it is on? My heaters are set at 76 yet my tanks are at 80F simply because the room is warmer and the lights warm the tanks up. If the heater is coming on even above its set-point then you have a problem, otherwise you just have tanks that are heating up from the filter motors, lights etc.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Leave it unplugged till you can replace it. Having your tank drop a few degrees to room temperature, especially this time of year is unlikely to bother your fish. I've forgotten to plug mine back in after cleaning....in the Winter...when my house was quite cool, mid 60's. Didn't notice for days and it never caused any problems, even for my clown loaches and they prefer it pretty warm. I think most fish can tolerate being cold for a while as long as it is a slow change that they can adjust to. Heat deprives them of oxygen though, so that's a more dangerous situation.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does your heater have a light indicating it is on? My heaters are set at 76 yet my tanks are at 80F simply because the room is warmer and the lights warm the tanks up. If the heater is coming on even above its set-point then you have a problem, otherwise you just have tanks that are heating up from the filter motors, lights etc.
Funny you should mention that, it clicked this morning it's only been lit when I set the tank up.

At both 2.30 AM and 6AM this morning the tank was still at 27C after having the heater off, and it was a really warm night. Plus the house thermostat read 24C this morning downstairs, my tank is upstairs.

What I'm going to do this weekend is test the heater in a bucket of cold water in the garage (which stays fairly cool in summer), and see what happens. I'm starting to think it's so warm ATM that the room temperature is heating the tank up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts