The Planted Tank Forum banner

S+/ SS CRS not breeding??

1559 14
So I have had these guys for 4 months now and although they are with A class Crs which are breeding like crazy I have yet to see any of my S+ and SS berried. Tank Parameters are as follows:
pH:6.8
GH:6
KH:0
TDS:170
TEMP: 21 Celsius/ 70 Fahrenheit
Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia: all zero

Thank You in advance,
Brendan
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
457 Posts
Depending on the strain they could need different needs. Try raising the temp a couple degrees. Maybe try and lower the ph a little... Gh down 1 degree?... Im still pretty new to shrimp but maybe they are so close to breeding you just need to tweak some things here and there. From what i know is if they arent breeding... Change something... (gradually)

· ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
What kinda rock is that in the first pic? Could be leaching minerals... unless you're doing weekly WCs, it's not ideal to keep mineral leaching rocks with CRS if you want optimal breeding.

As for the pics, the first pic I can't really tell. Second looks like a male. Third pic, the shrimp seems rather young still to be certain.

· Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That rock is actually the styrofoam background that came with my fluval ebi. :p they are the same size as my adult and breeding A/B class CRS if that's any help. I do 15% water changes every two weeks or depending on how many berried shrimp I have. If I were to guess a size I'd say 1/2 an inch and a little bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
lol. My experience with styrofoam in a shrimp tank was not a good one. There could be chemicals from the foam that may (or may not) leach into the water column. I'm not saying that's your problem, but if it were me, I would not use it.

If they're only 1/2" in size, they're still sub adults which are almost ready for breeding, but not quite yet. Give em another molt or two.

· Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol. My experience with styrofoam in a shrimp tank was not a good one. There could be chemicals from the foam that may (or may not) leach into the water column. I'm not saying that's your problem, but if it were me, I would not use it.

If they're only 1/2" in size, they're still sub adults which are almost ready for breeding, but not quite yet. Give em another molt.
Ok good to know. I just figured that since this kit was designed for shrimp everything should be shrimp safe but to be safe I might take it out before the next water change which could be the catalyst to some breeding. Thanks guys Everyones help is much appreciated!

· Registered
274 Posts
I've used several of the Fluval Ebi kits - before moving up to a tank rack system with larger tanks - and the only issue I ever had was the foam staying in place. I had to add aquarium safe silicone to the back of the foam and re-attach it to the back of the cube. Other than that, I never had any issues with S+ and up shrimp. One of the tanks that I had in my office at work, I bred several hundreds of CRS and CBS. I started with 18 young adults, and it turned out to be a great success. I did do water changes of about 15-20% 2x a week with R/O re-mineralized water. Also, instead of the stock filter, I used an ATI sponge.

· Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've used several of the Fluval Ebi kits - before moving up to a tank rack system with larger tanks - and the only issue I ever had was the foam staying in place. I had to add aquarium safe silicone to the back of the foam and re-attach it to the back of the cube. Other than that, I never had any issues with S+ and up shrimp. One of the tanks that I had in my office at work, I bred several hundreds of CRS and CBS. I started with 18 young adults, and it turned out to be a great success. I did do water changes of about 15-20% 2x a week with R/O re-mineralized water. Also, instead of the stock filter, I used an ATI sponge.
Also very good to know. I haven't had any issues with my background but I have more CRS coming in next week just in case I have all males

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.