The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, let me explain. I have three different tanks all with different lighting and all with different behavior. I have S. Repens in all 3 tanks. It is a mix of regular and "Porto Vehlo".

Eheim Aquastyle 6 gallon with a modded dual light pod:
I get excellent carpeting. It is low and tight. The regular S. Repens won't grow at all and just keeps getting algae, but the "Porto Vehlo" made a great carpet.

55 gallon with a DIY LED with 28 Cool White XP-G running a 700mA and CO2 and ferts:
Porto Vehlo overgrew the tank. I have to trim it every week. However, it grows straight up and is very "loose".

20 Long
with some undercabinet lighting:
I get a similarly loose growth. However, the rate of growth is much lower.

Now, from what I can tell, I don't have enough light in my 55 gallon tank? Is this right? I would think I would have plenty of light with that kind of LED setup. I was thinking of putting lenses on the LEDs. Am I missing something? Do I need a better color of light? Perhaps too much light?
I was always told that S. Repens was a fairly easy carpet to grow. It seemed pretty easy in my smaller tank. However, I have seen similar behavior under what I would deem "relatively low light".

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 55 gallon is 21 inches. I have the lights as lows as they can go, about 2 inches off the water.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Are you chopping off the tops and replanting the s. repens? two buds will appear where you cut and that should make it look thicker. Should also promote side shoots from the base.

I have a finnex 24/7 set to max on my 20 long with a targeted ei dosing and c02. I have to chop it every week.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am trying to keep it chopped, but this is where I am hitting a bit of snag. The smaller tank grew slow, but had a low and tight carpet. I didn't have to trim it back, except for once a month.
I was expecting similar on the larger tank. I am trying to figure out if the route to a simpler S. Repens carpet is more neglect or more care.

My other concern is that using all "cool white" LEDs at that depth might be causing growth issues because I am not getting enough red light

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.