The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received around 90 stems and after having planted them they've all melted in a week and a half's time. The stems are still there, and but most leaves have melted or discolored with holes. I received them over 4 weeks ago, and regrowth hasn't been recognizable. The tank they're in has pressurized CO2, EI dosing, and other plants that have been reacting wonderfully under these conditions. I've had no algae issues besides a little on the glass. Has anyone had issues similar to these?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Were they sold to you emersed? It would generally lead me to believe that its the plant losing all of its emersed leaves and trying to grow submerged ones.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
If the tank is poorly cycled, or the CO2 is off, then it can melt a bit, but not much.

If the melting is strong, then CO2 or something else major is going on.
Water changes(the more, the better) and do not remove the plants.
The roots will sprout new growth after 2-3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
If the tank is poorly cycled, or the CO2 is off, then it can melt a bit, but not much.

Hey Tom,

Does too much fertilizers or rootabs cause melting too?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Were they sold to you emersed? It would generally lead me to believe that its the plant losing all of its emersed leaves and trying to grow submerged ones.
No, they were not. Based on my description of the situation, a transition from emersed to submerged could definitely be the culprit; however, I know explicitly that these were grown submerged, and from a very well established tank at that.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The tank is new, though I set it up with an established AC20 and AC50, both cycled from another aquarium.

I would suspect the CO2 if it weren't for the prolific growth I'm receiving from my other flora. Unbeknownst to me, all of the the plants in this tank can be found at Tropica's website. Pogostemon stellata, rotala macrandra, rotala wallichii: all of these are shown under Tropica's 'advanced' symbol; while staurogyne repens falls under 'easy'.

I've been diligent about water changes, removing and replacing 10% of my water everyday with a full 50% at the end of the week, all while dosing EI. I've taken care not to disturb the plants, and I have seen new root growth, though very minor.

I'm just dumbfounded by how well my other plants are doing, while this one species seems to be having such a difficult time adjusting.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Tom,

Does too much fertilizers or rootabs cause melting too?
I'm curious about this as well. From my understanding though, this is rarely the case, especially if other requirements (ferts, CO2, etc.) are being met.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts