The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am new to this hobby and I am looking to start a nano planted tank using a Iwagumi Layout which will be started on a dry start. So far I have the folowing material on hand:

Tank- Fluval Edge

Substrate- ADA Aquasoil Amazonian II

Heat source- Small hydro heater

CO2- Hagen CO2 canister and CO2 safe tubing, with a glass difuser (I will be mixing my own mix in the canister, not buying the pouches)

Plants- UG (which I need help with, It came in the mail today and I dont know how to plant it, and I dont want to kill it! Please help!)
HC (doing great)

Supplies comming in the mail shortly:

Hard scape- Seiryu Stone

CO2- Drop checker , Bubble counter, and check valve (all these are glass made)

Pictures below...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
In my experience UG is tough to kill, especially with a dry start. I literally just laid mine down on top of the AS and let it do its thing. So far so good! But yeah like Dollface said, planting it in small clumps works the best. Same with the HC. Interested to see how this works out, always been curious to see someone try and plant one of these guys.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, I always like trying new things, so I decided to try this tank out as my first planted tank since it is fairly new to the market.

As for lighting, What you see in the pictures is just temporary and I will be trying out this light once I can get the money for it:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/acdc-cool-white-leds-dome-light-lumen-p-1707.html

Do you think this light will work? The reason I am looking to get this light is because I know it will fit in the "canopy" of the tank, so let me know what you guys think!

Pictures of the UG seperated, like suggested:

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
As for lighting, What you see in the pictures is just temporary and I will be trying out this light once I can get the money for it:
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/acdc-cool-white-leds-dome-light-lumen-p-1707.html Do you think this light will work? The reason I am looking to get this light is because I know it will fit in the "canopy" of the tank, so let me know what you guys think!:
The LED light you had linked is only 6-watts, do you think two would fit in the "canopy" of your Fluval Edge?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought some 10w LEDs for mine off of ebay but because I have less than 5 posts it won't let me post the link :(

just goto ebay and search "Brightest MR11 12 V 10 SMD LED White 160 Lumen Wide Ang" and they should come up...

Here's a pic of the lights, they work great...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cale 262, those look great, do you know if they will fit in the fixture of the fluval edge? Do they have a nice clean white light to them? And also do they give that "spotlight effect"? Im trying to get away from that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cale 262, those look great, do you know if they will fit in the fixture of the fluval edge? Do they have a nice clean white light to them? And also do they give that "spotlight effect"? Im trying to get away from that.

Thanks!
They fit right into the fixtures, they give off a nice white light in a wide pattern unlike the supplied, spotlight halogens... I'll take some pics and post them later today.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.