The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just started this tank around 11-14-12. It is coming along pretty good.
Here is the equipment list:
55g with painted black background
2 canister filters, 1 Fluval 306 and 1 QPOND 265gph 3 stage canister filter
1 CFL light, 2x 96w 50/50 blulbs 10k/420nm
1 Marineland 150w heater
1 Fluval 100w heater
DIY co2
co2 indicator

Fish:
4 Pearl Gourami
4 Otto's
1 SAE
10 Olive Nerite Snails

Plants:
Vallisneria Nana
Cryptocoryne Blassii Melon
Green Cabomba
Ludwigia Narrowleaf
Amazon Sword
Red Melon Sword

Ferts:
EI dosing regime
KN03
KH2P04
GH booster
CSM+B
50-75% WC weekly

Pretty basic and straight forward setup.

Now for the good stuff! Some Pictures!:D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here is the stand that I made, its simple 1" plywood with a white oak veneer. Its mostly biscut jointed together, with a couple screws holding the back. I stained it with Ebony stain and put 2 coats of poly on it. Still have some doors that I am going to make and 1 or 2 shelves for the right side.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is some better pictures of the most recent "re-scape" taken today, 12-30-12

Left

Center

Right

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some pictures of my Pearl Gouramis, I think I have 2 male and 2 female. Might have to wait for them to mature some more to tell for sure... Also, does it look like fin rot on their bottom fin?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a quick update, I bought 10 olive nerite snails and put them in there. I am currently looking for a way to hang a the light over the aquarium. Not sure if I want to just make a canopy for it that matches the stand and mount the light in there; or figure out a way to attach some sort of "shepherds hook" to the stand and hang the light from that. If anyone knows a good place to buy a "light hangar" or make a DIY version and ideas would be great!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am thinking about adding a pair or two of GBR... Also, the tank just isn't looking right, its filling in and everything but it just seems unatural... Anyone have any good ideas for how to improve the layout? or what would be good to add/subtract as far as plants go?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beautiful fish!
Thanks for the compliment!

I am thinking if adding some German Blue Rams along with some hardscape. Probably going to have to get rid of 3 of the 4 Amazon swords in the middle, along with the rotala indica. I can't decide if i like the indica or not. I am getting sick of trimming the roots off the stems all the time. As far as hardscape, I was thinking of putting in some lace rocks for the GBR's. Waiting on the lfs to get some more rock in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
926 Posts
okay, since know one else chimed in...

your tank seems to lack depth, I ffel you need some short plants in the front to balance all the height in the back, rocks would add a lot to the tank as well. Also I would have 1/2 as many types of plants but 2-3x as many of each one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay, since know one else chimed in...

your tank seems to lack depth, I ffel you need some short plants in the front to balance all the height in the back, rocks would add a lot to the tank as well. Also I would have 1/2 as many types of plants but 2-3x as many of each one.
I think you nailed that one right on the head! Just have me an "a ha!" moment! I have been wanting to put in some micro sword, blyxa japonica, or dwarf hairgrass in the front, two half moon shapes on either side of the swords. But i am thinking get rid of some more, add some rock and foreground plants.

Thank you for that idea! I needed it haha! Been starring at the thing for a month trying to figure out what to do!

·
Registered
926 Posts
aww shucks! love pearl gouramis by the way. if you get some floating plants and decrease you surface agitation you are sure to get them to spawn

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For sure! I have duckweed on the surface right now, i have not let it get pity of control though. I was planning on trying to spawn the gouramis a soon add they all matured. I can't tell for sure yet how many of each sex i have. 2 are males for sure so we will have to see.

·
Registered
926 Posts
when my spawned I swear there were about 300 eggs!! good luck

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
when my spawned I swear there were about 300 eggs!! good luck
Is it as simple as it sounds? Just raising the water temp up to 80-82F, having little to no surface agitation, and having some sort of floating plants for the bubble nests?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts