The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started a new thread. Never kept up with the old one.

Plants:
alternanthera reineckii
bacopa monneiri
blyxa japonica
cardamine lyrata
fissidens fontanus
glossostigma elatinoides
hemianthus micranthemoides
heteranthera zosterifolia
hygrophila difformis
limnophila aquatica
mayaca fluviatilis
pogostemon erectus
rotala rotundifolia

Fauna:
harlequin rasboras
amano shrimp
red cherry shrimp
otocinclus
assassin snails

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weekly Friday night photo:

Idk why my wisteria is not growing upwards very much. Perhaps it prefers more medium light? It's putting off a bunch of side shoots trying to grow bushier, but it won't grow vertically. If It doesn't begin to grow vertically very much, I may look at trying something else there (back left corner), perhaps Myrio mattagrossense or something similar. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never had too much trouble with the pogostemon. It took it a while to convert from the emersed form as I received it to the submersed form. It tends to grow a good bit slower than some of the other stems. I don't have the other two you mentioned so I don't know much about them.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! Very nice. I like the way you've placed your plants. The Harlequins are fabulous! They compliment the reds and orangey yellows you have in the plants. Great job!
Thanks. It's taken quite a while for me to get it to this point. Now I need to figure out when/where to trim everything so that it all grows out the right length at the same time. Lol. That's probably going to take a lot of trial and error.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought I'd post the specifics of equipment and such.

Fliter: Fluval 306
CO2: Pressurized CO2, 5lb tank, GLA Atomic V3 regulator, GLA Atomic bubble counter/check valve, GLA Atomic inline diffuser. ~2-3bps, Drop checker lime green-yellowish
Lighting: 2x39W T5HO, IceCap SLR T5 reflectors, Aqua Medic Plant + Geissman Midday bulbs
Substrate: Seachem Fluorite Dark
Ferts: KNO3, KH2PO4, CSM+B, occasionally K2SO4, EI dosing

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well done aquascape with lovely plants.
Thank you. Can't wait to add the Myrio mattogrossense to it. It will be replacing the wisteria in the back left corner. The wisteria just wasn't growing the way I expected it to. It wants to grow outward, not upward, :mad: which makes it useless for the purpose I intended.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Updated plant list:
alternanthera reineckii
blyxa japonica
cardamine lyrata
fissidens fontanus
glossostigma elatinoides
[STRIKE]hygrophila difformis [/STRIKE] (will be removed soon)
ludwigia repens x arcuata
limnophila aromatica
limnophila aquatica
mayaca fluviatilis
myriophyllum mattogrossense (coming soon)
myriophyllum sp. 'mini'
pogostemon erectus
rotala macrandra

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Updated plant list:
alternanthera reineckii
blyxa japonica
cardamine lyrata
fissidens fontanus
glossostigma elatinoides
[STRIKE]hygrophila difformis [/STRIKE] (will be removed soon)
ludwigia repens x arcuata
limnophila aromatica
limnophila aquatica
mayaca fluviatilis
myriophyllum mattogrossense (coming soon)
myriophyllum sp. 'mini'
pogostemon erectus
rotala macrandra

Hey, when you do a trim would you be interested in off loading a few stems towards my direction (payment obviously)? I'm looking at a few on here and would possibly add them to my 75

Nice Tank, by the way.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it appears I somehow got some Christmas moss mixed in with my fissidens :icon_conf so I'm going to end up taking all the moss off of the two stumps on the left. I think I have enough fissidens on the one other stump that I can trim it off and seed at least one of the other stumps. Mixed mosses = no bueno

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well here's a some pics of a couple of the plants I got a couple weeks ago as they're adapting to my tank. Many of the stems of rotala macrandra are dropping old leaves and putting off new side shoots while the tips continue to grow upwards. I'm guessing this is normal behavior for this plant when it changes environments. I've seen similar behavior when I kept rotala rotundifolia. The myriophyllum sp. 'mini' dropped all of the old leaves but has about and inch and a half or so of new growth. It might be a while before I have enough of it to do much with, but it's definitely neat looking. :) The Limnophila aromatica has a good two inches of new growth at the tips as well as a few new side shoots. Most of the old leaves have either fallen off or don't quite behave like the new ones do, responding to the photo period and pointing leaves at the light in the final couple hours of light.

Rotala macrandra

Myriophyllum sp. 'mini'

Limnophila aromatica

·
Registered
744 Posts
Wow your plants look awesome to me! The bubbles look fabulous :) Great pictures too...I wish I had a camera so I could take descent photos. The cell phone is good for outdoor pics but inside, they are horrible!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts