The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
There is a rust trait out there. Not a health issue, just a red/orange (rust) tinge to the shrimp.
Some like the look of it, some don't.

If I remember correctly, the rust trait originated in Germany on OEBT's. RBT can have the rust trait if their line came from BTOE x OEBT (with Rust trait).
So not all RBT have the rust coloration.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is so strange. It's on one of my adults. It's almost like a striping of rust on the body. I'm having a hard time getting a picture, but I will. The shrimp is acting completely normal. It does not act or look sick like a rusting disease. It just started to appear which is odd. I am not sure I like it or not. I will see. It could look really neat but the jury is out. Might end up being a cull but will see.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
There is a difference between the rust trait, a racing stripe, and shrimp with sudden abnormal coloration caused by internal bacterial infections (they can act fine for a while before dying). Look into and see what resembles yours.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After researching more, I think this may be the rust trait. Waiting to hear back from where I purchased to see if he gets this trait with his. This does not look like a bacterial infection that I can tell.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found out from my breeders that the females get a hint of rust when they are ready to breed. This is what is happening. I'm positive. Kind of excited!

Will check out Ark too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts