The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to add both a purigen reactor and CO2 to my 120g tank. I already have a Fluval FX6 for the tanks filtration but wanted to add another (SunSun or Fluval 406) for water movement and to be able to run reactors.

Is anyone pushing two reactors on the same filter? I worry about too much back pressure on the pump and not enough flow to effectively utilize both the CO2 and media reactors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ty

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Maybe? Really tough to get a definitive answer, as it depends on lots of stuff.

I'd suggest building/buying both reactors and using tubing rather than plumbing them in. 10 bucks of tubing and some fittings is a small enough cost to figure out whether something will work. If it works, you can leave them that way or plumb them in down the line, and if not, you know you need another can.

Bump: My *guess* is that even if there's enough flow for the CO2, it will significantly cut down on flow and you'll want another can. But I can't be certain of that, even if our ideas of sufficient flow are the same. Which they're probably not.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Much will depend on how you set the plumbing. In a straight line so the flow goes into one and then into the second, the flow restriction will be added. But if you have one inline and then tee to the second one so the flow is divided between the two, the second will work to improve the flow over just one.
I think of water much the same as traffic. If you come to a slowdown/jam on a road the second slowdown may add a little to the total time. But if you have a jam on one road but there is an alternate, some traffic will take the alternate and the total slowdown is less?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.