The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you run two different watt bulbs off the same ballast? I have a (2) F32T8 ballast and I want to run a 20w and 17w bulb together. Are there any problems with this. I'm not to worried about bulb life, more worried about ruining the ballast. Thanks for any help :icon_smil

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep...the ballast has more than enough juice...I just don't understand how it knows to send 1 bulb 17 w and then bump it up to 20 w for the other bulb. I would think it sends out one or the other....so one bulb is being overdriven or underdriven. And is that bad for the ballast? I actually have no idea though...

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
T8 ballasts are dumb as a stump! It is T5HO ballasts that seem to have the ability to communicate with the bulbs and arrive at the right power for each bulb. With T8 ballasts you are just overdriving any bulb that is supposed to run at less than 32 watts. You get more light out the bulbs that way, but not nearly in proportion to the increased power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.