The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
I don’t think it is fine. A power head will make loud noise out of water as it needs complete submergence to lubricate the impeller. It may not burn the motor though since most are air cooled magnetic drive motor but it will ruin the impeller soon.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I don’t think it is fine. A power head will make loud noise out of water as it needs complete submergence to lubricate the impeller. It may not burn the motor though since most are air cooled magnetic drive motor but it will ruin the impeller soon.
I would think if the impeller is still pushing water, then it wouldn't be affected. To be fair, we need to know the setup OP is going for. How could a powered be put of the water, yet still moving water? If he means like an inline pump, then most pumps are built to be able to work like that.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, an in-line powerhead, that's what I'm trying to realize. The goal is to drive a Cerges CO2 reactor independently of the filter. So there powerhead will be in the cabinet, connected with hoses, to the tank itself. I don't want to put the power head in the tank because I hate seeing equipment in my tanks.

And thanks for the comments so far!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yes, an in-line powerhead, that's what I'm trying to realize. The goal is to drive a Cerges CO2 reactor independently of the filter. So there powerhead will be in the cabinet, connected with hoses, to the tank itself. I don't want to put the power head in the tank because I hate seeing equipment in my tanks.

And thanks for the comments so far!
You're better off looking for an inline pump as opposed to a powerhead. This is exactly how I run my cerges reactor. Check out my journal for more info.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're better off looking for an inline pump as opposed to a powerhead. This is exactly how I run my cerges reactor. Check out my journal for more info.
Cheapest one I've found is about $50 and the reviews said it was noisy. I'll check out your journal and thanks!

The EcoPlus 185 and 264 seem to be reasonably priced inline pumps, both under $30-ish at the usual retailers. It isn't clear what adaptors come with them though and they're not stocked at the LFS, at least not in my area. It is more of a hydroponics part it seems.

·
Registered
690 Posts
How about buying a CO2 reactor made to operate with a power head.

I run the Tunze reactor in planted tank and can’t be happier because It runs on its own power, quiet and no need to be attached to a canister. I filter my tanks with HOBs only and don’t want any canister. Tunze is attached to the glass with a magnet so you can move and hide it behind plants. I like it to be visible though as it is compact and can double as a bubble counter that will never dry up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about buying a CO2 reactor made to operate with a power head.

I built my own, that's why. See Critique my Cerges Please

And I really dislike the idea of seeing equipment in my tank. I really try to minimize artificial intrusions. Also, I'm putting CO2 into a 75 gallon tank so I really need more than 4 bubbles per second.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I built my own, that's why. See Critique my Cerges Please

And I really dislike the idea of seeing equipment in my tank. I really try to minimize artificial intrusions. Also, I'm putting CO2 into a 75 gallon tank so I really need more than 4 bubbles per second.
Nice set up I am sure you can find a pump that is not a regular powerhead

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How many gph are you looking for?
That's a really interesting question. I'm currently branching off of my Eheim Pro 3 2075 which is a claimed 330gph filter. But I'm guessing that that's just the raw powerhead and I'm surely seeing much less than that. I do have a bypass valve in my Cerges but that's mostly closed. (I also have a back pressure valve but that's 100% open.)

I rarely see bubbles in the water column in the morning and I have many in the evening. Nothing makes it to the tank though. My drop checker is a nice green all day long except in the evening when it starts to climb.

So I'm thinking that I'm getting a standing bubble at the top of the Cerges and therefore would like to increase flow. But I wouldn't need 330gph since it is just a raw powerhead, not choked by a filter.

And of course, on a complete diversion, I picked up a Sunsun 603B hoping to adapt it's puny 100gph powerhead to directly drive the Cerges. I won't be able to do that without spending more money on it and some other information suggests that it won't put out anywhere near 100gph. But, it's in the house so I'll hook it up tomorrow, without any media, and just see what happens.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have a budget you're trying to stick to?
LOL, I blew that a long time ago. $30 is a no brainer. $50 makes me go ugh but I realize might need to do that. $100 makes me think what could the money be better used for. So the Eco Plus ones, if they are not junk, fit the bill.

Over the years I've realized that buy cheap stuff is often more expensive in the long run. :- (

·
Registered
162 Posts
I heard good things about the Eco### line, I just ordered an Eco264 for my setup. I think a lot of reviews on amazon are just from people who don't really know what they're doing. Also are you more likely to go out of your way to write a review on something that performs as expected, or something that really P'd you off?

We're doing really similar things right now. I should have everything in and setup by next weekend. So I can give you some honest first impressions if you don't jump on it right away.

Budgets are just lies we tell ourselves so we can start new projects 😁

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I heard good things about the Eco### line, I just ordered an Eco264 for my setup. ....

We're doing really similar things right now. I should have everything in and setup by next weekend. So I can give you some honest first impressions if you don't jump on it right away.
Thanks, keep me posted.

You're on a 10 gallon tank, right? Or was it bigger?

Budgets are just lies we tell ourselves so we can start new projects 😁
Oh that is so true.

There's also the eheim Compacton series. You would need to verify that they can be run inline, but Im pretty sure they can.
And Eheim stuff is so well built. We have 3 filters in the house, a Classic and two Pro 3 2075. Great filters.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's a 10 gallon, but I'm trying to run everything inline and on one pump. My reactor/heater is adding a bunch of lift height I think. I'm also trying to get enough flow to properly use some lily pipes since flow is my big problem in my current setup.

I don't understand why it's so hard to find a lower GPH inline pump either. I've scrolled through so many reviews and read so many horror stories on some. My favorite simply being "It literally caught on fire in my hands", that one being on the most promising pump I found to fit my setup. So the Eco series it was haha

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hooked up my Sunsun 603B on the workbench after work today. With an empty canister I was able to get 54gph through their intake and spray bar. Priming it, wow, if you thought an Eheim Classic was hard to prime, this might be worse. I didn't mind paying the $32 for since it came with hoses and everything. But since I can't use it without the canister I think this is just going on the junk pile.

(I'm going to cross post this text on my Cerges DIY thread because I'm going to need some different advice from that crowd...)

·
Registered
162 Posts
My stuff came in earlier than expected and I spent a little time fiddling with it.

Positive note, the Connectors are the exact same as the ones that come with the sunsun. I found a set that wouldn't take a month to arrive. If you decide to use the Sunsun as a prefilter for the pump it'll be handy. Might need another set of quick disconnects for that though.

Other note, the Eco264 has decent flow at around 4' lift. But it does hum pretty loudly, trying to see if I can't remedy this. If you find another pump that works quietly definitely post it in one of your threads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.