The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd go with rummy-nose for a 30-inch or wider tank to give them room to swim, and the little espei rasboras for smaller widths.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have both, a small group (9-10) rummy nose and 20 espei in 2 tanks.
Both school nice but espei swim closer together and its like they are on caffeine. You can get tired of them swimming one side to the other but they will keep going, and going, and going....LOL

·
Many plants...little time
1,634 Posts
I have both, a small group (9-10) rummy nose and 20 espei in 2 tanks.
Both school nice but espei swim closer together and its like they are on caffeine. You can get tired of them swimming one side to the other but they will keep going, and going, and going....LOL

haha I have both as well. 15-20 Rummy nose in my 54g that school very tight and 60 espei in a 100g long. I have to say both school nice...but i'd give the edge to the Rummy's. But the espei are more colorful IMO

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm having soooo much trouble deciding on what fish I want...I'm trying to replicate the tank above in a 40 breeder...what is a good amount of either species for the tank??? which would be best:

• 20-25 rummynose
  • 30 espe rasbora
  • or 20 rummynose AND 30 espe rasbora
...tank will also be home to 4-7 otos, 10-15 amano shrimp, 3-5 kuhli loaches

·
Registered
273 Posts
I like your potential combos. I will probably end up using Rummies for my 40b, and have always liked kuhli loaches. I really want shrimp in this tank but I am set on a GBR. What is your time frame for setup? I'm interested to see another 40b journal around, I'll be joining that club next week.

CL when is that tank getting flooded? We'll have to start a 40breeder pimp club for when that finally happens.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Drink! I was thinking about a pair of GBR as well...I will have some cherry and tiger shrimp in there but there will only be a couple from my shrimp tank...my original idea was GBR with a school of neons since my gf loves neons/cardinals...but once I get my iwagumi set up I'm removing the neons that will first inhabit the tank and put them there and replace them with either rummys or espe...do you think I should stick with only one species??? i'll be starting a thread soon for my two tanks i'm setting up (40 breeder & shrimp haven)...too bad my gf has the camera in San Diego :frown:

I like your potential combos. I will probably end up using Rummies for my 40b, and have always liked kuhli loaches. I really want shrimp in this tank but I am set on a GBR. What is your time frame for setup? I'm interested to see another 40b journal around, I'll be joining that club next week.

CL when is that tank getting flooded? We'll have to start a 40breeder pimp club for when that finally happens.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm having soooo much trouble deciding on what fish I want...I'm trying to replicate the tank above in a 40 breeder...
I wouldn't mix the espeis and rummies - it would bug me personally since one is Asian and one is South American as mentioned above. Also the colors don't mesh well in my opinion (red rummies and copper espeis in the same area of the tank).

The fish in my 75 aren't all from the same region, but I needed the loaches for snail control unfortunately. We do our best!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I keep Hengel's Rasboras, very similar to Espeis and Cardinals in the same tank. Cardinals shoal more than school and tend to stay near the bottom while the Hengel's tend to school very tightly in the upper middle. They are in a 46 gallon Bow Front.

If the Espei's stay in upper middle also, and the Rummy's stay near the bottom, they might still work very well together. I used to try and stick with South American themes but, most of my plants come from Asia and North America so, I gave up on the SA theme. Someday, when I have a tank big enough for Swordplants, I might try the SA theme again.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey hbosman! Do you think you can provide a picture of your Hengel's schooling???

I keep Hengel's Rasboras, very similar to Espeis and Cardinals in the same tank. Cardinals shoal more than school and tend to stay near the bottom while the Hengel's tend to school very tightly in the upper middle. They are in a 46 gallon Bow Front.

If the Espei's stay in upper middle also, and the Rummy's stay near the bottom, they might still work very well together. I used to try and stick with South American themes but, most of my plants come from Asia and North America so, I gave up on the SA theme. Someday, when I have a tank big enough for Swordplants, I might try the SA theme again.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I'd say they school as tight as if not tighter than the rummynose, but I agree they don't move around as fast as or as much as them either. But they are definitely on the go all the time, it seems. They don't just hover, like cardinals do. I once had them in a 10g community tank too. They are very active, and they do cover the entire tank. They don't even just stay in one level of the water column, either. They went from mid-column to the ground to the surface.

Actually my favorite schooling fish so far, followed by rummynose. They each have their place, though, that the other doesn't.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.