The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
They might be hard to find because they go fast. Petco should be able to order some for you. They may only stock them on demand.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Throughout my experience with dealers, they're highly susceptible to disease when mixed with other tetras that may be carrying something. Because of that I would contemplate purchasing them from larger chains that have most systems plumped together. That said, die off rate is higher than most tetras which may have lead to some of your smaller shops not carrying a good qty of them. The only store around here that always has a good amount of rummys isolates them in a separate tank ...as they do with other select tetras. Goodluck in your search!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just picked up 20 of them on aquabid they were $1 each with $15 shipping with heat packs total was $35 for 20 rummy nose the sellers name is ADI fast shipping only 2 days let me know if you can't find him I have his email address he as lots of them and other fish and plants,I think he has a online store.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just picked up 20 of them on aquabid they were $1 each with $15 shipping with heat packs total was $35 for 20 rummy nose the sellers name is ADI fast shipping only 2 days let me know if you can't find him I have his email address he as lots of them and other fish and plants,I think he has a online store.
He is on our forums too ;)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Throughout my experience with dealers, they're highly susceptible to disease when mixed with other tetras that may be carrying something. Because of that I would contemplate purchasing them from larger chains that have most systems plumped together. That said, die off rate is higher than most tetras which may have lead to some of your smaller shops not carrying a good qty of them. The only store around here that always has a good amount of rummys isolates them in a separate tank ...as they do with other select tetras. Goodluck in your search!
I have to agree with all of this. I ordered 50 of them from my LFS a few weeks ago and they came in on Friday. I got the phone call at 2 telling me they were in and by the time I got there at 4 almost half of them were dead. Against my better judgment I took the rest of them home and after the 2 hours of drip acclimating them 14 more died and by the next morning I had 2 left. I went back to the store saturday and told him about the die off and we both knew that it was more than likely a bad batch. He will be ordering me more in 2 weeks and said he would order 100 next time and see how they are. I have been pretty good friends with the owner since he opened the store about 18 years ago and has always treated me good so I know he will make it right even though it was no fault of his. I would try to stay away from the big chain stores as rummies can be pretty finicky as far as tetras goes but if you get good quality stock to begin with they are no harder to keep than any other tetra.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
where can i find this guy? I need another 50 or so.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
where can i find this guy? I need another 50 or so.
I just pm'd him on Friday after my loss to check my other options and he said he didn't know if he would have more until right before Thanksgiving. He is a sponsor Aquarium Design Innovations and his user name is tex627.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Dont even bother with rummynose at a LFS. I got mine from wetspot, but it is kind of a lot. But i havent lost any so it has been worth it to me.
It all depends on the LFS you are getting them from. After all these fish all come from the same fish farms whether you get them at a LFS or from an online vendor. I do agree that Wetspot has nice quality fish but that has more to do with the way they acclimate them and the care that is taken before they sell them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It may just be my location, but for me they are pretty easy to find. I have noticed that they are pretty bad when it comes to hardiness, unless you have really good stock. I got 10 from a friend, I lost one randomly, not sure what happened, then lost another randomly. The 8 are holding steady and haven't got any diseases, despite having ick a couple weeks before getting them.

So maybe they die easily in new conditions and once settled they are hardy?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would recommend not mail ordering these guys. They are pretty sensitive when you first get them so you want to make sure you are buying good stock. Buying fish like this "Sight-unseen" is a bit risky IMO.

You want to make sure they are nice and red at the tip and are healthy when you assess the skills, gills, and fins.

I know that Petsmart and Petco can get them. YOu may have to special order them but almost EVERY major store buys from Segrest Farms and they have them all the time.

Just be mindful that they are sensitive.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Is the Wetspot in Portland Oregon? I just did a quick google on them and after 15-20 detours to other aquarium interests (LOL) I google mapped them. Is it possible that they're in the same store that used to be Boyd's? That place ROCKED. Man, of all the things I miss about that town, Boyd's was right up there. I know they closed a while ago and more or less vanished off the map. They were 2 brothers who ran the place and they were close to retirement when I shopped there back in the 80s.

Anyway, just curious.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.