The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've narrowed down my choices to 6 rummy nose tetra to mix with my 6 harlequin rasboras in my 17g, they're compatible with the water parameter. My local LFS has them, is this a good choice? thanks

·
Registered
588 Posts
Personally I think that might be pushing the limits for such a small tank. I guess it would depend in filtration, how heavily planted the tank is, and the parameters of the water, such as gh and kh etc. The good thing about rummy nose tetra is that when the water quality isn't up to par their color will let yo know.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tank is 24x12x14, planted well and has AC70 with 30% water change twice a week. They can occupy the bottom part of the tank. I like the way they can let you know about the water quality.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yeah, they are mostly mid swimmer, but like the raspboras, will go all over. Both are good schoolers. Since I believe they are a tetra still mostly wild caught, you might want to make sure you have softer water, at least at or below 7.4 and they won't breed unless it's more acidic and warm.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I agree, you are pushing your tank. Will they fit, yes. Will you have problems from it, a decent chance of it. You will need to do larger water changes for sure - weekly.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm already doing twice a week water change. I'll see what my other options are, I could just get 3 more rasboras and call it a day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts