The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear experts,
I just bought 6 Rummy Nose Tetra, moved them to my existing aquarium.
so the first day already 2 dead, second day 3 dead, now left me only 1 still alive.
water quality is good (measured), oxygen is good too, the fish already were in the aquarium are pleco, Otocinclus, Poecilia, Pterophyllum scalare and Gourami.
can someone, please give me some hints why it is like that?

many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Dear experts,
I just bought 6 Rummy Nose Tetra, moved them to my existing aquarium.
so the first day already 2 dead, second day 3 dead, now left me only 1 still alive.
water quality is good (measured), oxygen is good too, the fish already were in the aquarium are pleco, Otocinclus, Poecilia, Pterophyllum scalare and Gourami.
can someone, please give me some hints why it is like that?

many thanks in advance.
Bummer. Did you get them at a store(LFS) or have them shipped? Sounds like they may have been already sick or stressed before they arrived.

·
Registered
802 Posts
What are the exact water parameters?

How many gallons is the tank and how many other fish are in it?

How long was the acclimation process? Long acclimation times can be more harmful than good.

It's possible the fish were not well when you bought them, but it's also possible that they were fine but reacted poorly to your water quality (even if the other fish are fine; they're used to it), the water in your area, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Acclimation was 30 mins with 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate it is a 75 gallon with lots of other small fishes like tetras such as neon a guppy a honey gourami 5 very small angels and 5 young bosemani

·
Registered
802 Posts
Acclimation was 30 mins with 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate it is a 75 gallon with lots of other small fishes like tetras such as neon a guppy a honey gourami 5 very small angels and 5 young bosemani
What kind of tests are you using? Test strips or the API test kit?

It's virtually impossible for an established aquarium to have zero nitrates. Once you add fish, even a cycled and healthy tank will have a nitrate reading.

I only do 15 minute acclimations because longer acclimations can cause pH to spike, which can harm fish and make them more inclined to die soon after introduction.

·
Registered
20 Posts

It's virtually impossible for an established aquarium to have zero nitrates. Once you add fish, even a cycled and healthy tank will have a nitrate reading.

I only do 15 minute acclimations because longer acclimations can cause pH to spike, which can harm fish and make them more inclined to die soon after introduction.
I use the master test kit from api and it reads 0 nitrates on all my cycled tanks I’m not sure why even my shrimp tank that’s been around for around 4 months

·
Registered
802 Posts
I use the master test kit from api and it reads 0 nitrates on all my cycled tanks I’m not sure why even my shrimp tank that’s been around for around 4 months
Even cycled tanks should have some nitrate reading. A reading of 0 in an established tank can mean the cycle crashed/there is no complete cycle. Or, you could have a bad test kit/fluids.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I only do 15 minute acclimations because longer acclimations can cause pH to spike,
Could you say more about this? Why would pH 'spike' (which I assume means 'rise quickly').

Rummies are pretty sensitive fish ("Crummynose", in the trade). Random dieoffs aren't that uncommon. I wouldn't keep them in such a small group, at any rate, and wouldn't skip QTing them. In a 75g, I'd shoot for 18 at the very least, better more.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Could you say more about this? Why would pH 'spike' (which I assume means 'rise quickly').

Rummies are pretty sensitive fish ("Crummynose", in the trade). Random dieoffs aren't that uncommon. I wouldn't keep them in such a small group, at any rate, and wouldn't skip QTing them. In a 75g, I'd shoot for 18 at the very least, better more.
When you open a plastic bag, the CO 2 off gases, causing pH to spike. Adding tank water to the bag over a long acclimation period keeps changing the pH and stresses the fish.

I float bags for 15 minutes to equalize temperatures, add a little tank water to the bag and get the fish out ASAP.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I've seen high loss percentages in the first few days when I get fish from a store (LFS or chain) that salts their water. No issues with other stores that don't salt. So my theory is that the rapid salinity change (even with 30 minutes of acclimation) is hard on them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've seen high loss percentages in the first few days when I get fish from a store (LFS or chain) that salts their water. No issues with other stores that don't salt. So my theory is that the rapid salinity change (even with 30 minutes of acclimation) is hard on them.
So most likely the fish might’ve been sensitive and died off because of that? Bc I have three rn which seem to be doing great

I bought 10 and planned to add more but as of rn I’m not sure since they are so sensitive I’d jus be losing so much money gambling on whether they live or not

Even cycled tanks should have some nitrate reading. A reading of 0 in an established tank can mean the cycle crashed/there is no complete cycle. Or, you could have a bad test kit/fluids.
How would I fix my nitrates tho

·
Registered
115 Posts
When you open a plastic bag, the CO 2 off gases, causing pH to spike. Adding tank water to the bag over a long acclimation period keeps changing the pH and stresses the fish.

I float bags for 15 minutes to equalize temperatures, add a little tank water to the bag and get the fish out ASAP.
Thanks for the response.

A rapid change in osmolality of the surrounding water (osmotic pressure from dissolved solids) is much more stressful to fish than a pH change due to CO2. CO2 doesn't off gas quickly at all from unagitated water, also.

Glad what you're doing works, but I wouldn't recommend it generally.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the response.

A rapid change in osmolality of the surrounding water (osmotic pressure from dissolved solids) is much more stressful to fish than a pH change due to CO2. CO2 doesn't off gas quickly at all from unagitated water, also.

Glad what you're doing works, but I wouldn't recommend it generally.
I think the problem isn’t so much with the ph per se, but with the potentially rapid increase in toxicity of any ammonia that’s built up in the bag. This is less of a concern for local purchases, of course, but for shipped fish/inverts, it could be a problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think the problem isn’t so much with the ph per se, but with the potentially rapid increased toxicity of any ammonia that’s built up in the bag. This is less of a concern for local purchases, of course, but for shipped fish/inverts, it could be a problem.
Great point. Bags containing fish that are transshipped (and have been in the bag for days) are typically given a heavy dose of ammonia detoxifier before proceeding with acclimation.

·
Registered
136 Posts
IME and IMHO. Always quarantine fish no matter where you buy/get them. Yes, you might get lucky and they survive. More likely they will come with parasites or bacterial infections, die and take out the rest of you existing fish and/or force you to treat your main tank. At least hold them 3-4 weeks in quarantine if you don't believe in medicating in quarantine. Temp acclimate first 15-30min, then drip acclimate until you double the water volume that they came in. Net the fish out into quarantine tank and toss the bagged water. I've done with LFS and shipped specimens many times.

Good luck!

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
176 Posts

I'd just like to point out this is completely false information on nitrates. It is absolutely 100% possible to have zero nitrates especially in a mature setup. I know for a fact others on this forum would agree. I have had unmeasurable nitrate in a handful of mature, planted tanks over the years and there is nothing harmful about that towards livestock, the only possible issue would be nutrient limitation for certain plant species. This happens because there is high plant mass and low fish stock. Even with medium stocked tanks I have still measured 0 or unmeasurable. The only way you wouldn't observe such low nitrate would be a tank that is overstocked and bad maintenance schedule, or you are deliberately dosing higher in nitrogen like EI dosing for example, or those of you that have tap water containing nitrate. Anyone who reasonably stocks a tank with fish and plants and does proper tank maintenance can observe nitrates bottoming out.

Not to mention those of us who strictly limit nitrate to achieve coloration in certain plant species. I easily achieve this by doing nothing special other than lean dosing nitrogen to keep my nitrates consistently near 0 or at 0. I dose nitrogen moderately in my other high tech and still it measures almost 0 by the end of the dosing week. This WILL NOT crash your cycle, or even be an indicator of a crashed cycle. That makes no sense.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd just like to point out this is completely false information on nitrates. It is absolutely 100% possible to have zero nitrates especially in a mature setup.
Thanks for posting this. My tank is a heavily planted 25-gallon that almost always registers near zero nitrates. I've got 18 tiny fish (8 clown killes and 10 ember tetras) and 5 amanos. I'm still dialing in my new dry mix ferts, but the plants are all growing and the fish are spawning. Is it ideal? I don't know. But it's certainly possible to have a healthy established tank with zero nitrates.

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
176 Posts
Thanks for posting this. My tank is a heavily planted 25-gallon that almost always registers near zero nitrates. I've got 18 tiny fish (8 clown killes and 10 ember tetras) and 5 amanos. I'm still dialing in my new dry mix ferts, but the plants are all growing and the fish are spawning. Is it ideal? I don't know. But it's certainly possible to have a healthy established tank with zero nitrates.
Yeah I didn't agree with that comment at all and it has zero factual basis to it. Anyone that has live plants and does routine WCs can test 0 for nitrate. Even with fake plants, if you have low bioload, do regular WCs, and have nitrate free tap you can get into a cycle of removing more nitrate than is created by nitrifying bacteria. It is good to mention however that API liquid test is known to be the least sensitive as far as nitrate tests go, and sometimes the readings aren't entirely accurate. However I still have tried a few different liquid test kits over the years and measured 0. Having 0,0,0 readings with live plants just means that your nitrifying bacteria and plants are doing their job. And the only instance having 0 nitrate could be blamed on a crashed cycle would be if you measured an amount of ammonia or nitrite in conjunction that is different than your usual parameters or tap. So OP please do absolutely nothing to raise your nitrate. Unless your plants are showing growth deficiencies common with nitrate deficiency then deliberately upping your nitrate will have no positive effect on your tank whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts