The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-
I have read different opinions on this issue. Some say you can stock a planted tank more heavily than a non-planted tank because the plants will help with the bioload. I've also read that it's better to understock a planted tank. What do you all think?
Here's my tank: 46-gallon bowfront, planted with pressurized co2 and 78 watts of T5 HO lighting. I'll be starting to dose dry ferts soon. For filtration, I have an Eheim 2217 and a Rena XP2.
Here are my residents: 12 harlequin rasboras; 1 bristlenose pleco; 6 juli cory cats; 1 male pearl gourami. I would like to add a female pearl gourami.
Does that sound like too much bioload? Does it sound like it's OK? Or, could I even add the pearl gourami and some more harlequins (or cherry barbs).
Thank you!

·
Registered
195 Posts
as lauralee said... everything is relative.
planted tanks as a rule will support a higher fish bio load, however plant types also must be factored in, additionally some even use smaller than normal filters due to the plant load to keep NO3 levels up or even in the event of very heavily planted tanks totally forgo traditional filtration ( you begining to see where the appearance of conflicting information comes from now?)
so with your Bio load, and filter capacity, and plant load, you can easily add the fish you desire.

Also noted is that you dose EI, so stay on the water changes ( EI build up is not going to be good for your fish )

Also remember theses are simply our opinions and experience, and your results may vary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts